The Pioneer Provost of School of Medical Sciences, Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University Bauchi, Professor Kabiru Sabitu has decried the high rate of infant and maternal mortality rate in the country attributing it to the failure of the Primary Health Care delivery system.
Sabitu stated this when he delivered the 3rdAnnual Lecture of Newgate College of Health Technology in Minna.
He lamented that achieving successful health care financing has continued to elude the country because of the very low level of government health funding some of which come from donor fund.
According to him, “infant mortality ratio in Nigeria is 69 per 1000 live births while maternal mortality ratio is 840 per 100,000 live births. It is also of serious concern that the ratio of doctors per 10000 population is 4:0”.
He said that government at all levels have continued to allocate below 5% of their annual budget to education despite the Abuja declaration that stipulated 15% of annual budget.
He called on federal government to commence the implementation of the Primary Health Care Act as passed by the National Assembly and assented to by former President Goodluck Jonathan.
He said that the Act was explicit on how to fund the PHC system adding that the success of health care delivery in the country will be a mirage if patients continue to pay for services from their pockets.
In his remark, the Executive Director of the College, Hassan Nuhu said that the institution was ready to contribute to the development of the country with the training of man power in the health sector.
He awarded scholarship of the college to 30 students explaining that it was part of the management commitment to assist poor indigent students from neighboring communities.
He said that another group of 20 women from host communities were also empowered by the college in various entrepreneurial skills and were assisted with take off facilities.
He admonished the over 2800 students that matriculated for this academic section to shun laziness and work hard towards achieving academic success.
Facebook Comments Box
- Samuel Eto’o attacks man outside stadium in Qatar
- NBA President shuns call to bar ceremony presided over by Olanipekun
- Media Watch Group Carpets Security Agencies Over ‘State Of The Nation’
- FG developed Lagos, not Tinubu– Atiku
- Chatham House: Atiku group berates Tinubu’s conduct
- Chatham House: Tinubu clarifies his age, paternity
- Why Gov Abdulrazaq will secure second term– Commissioner
- SAD…. Ilorin-born varsity don, Sulyman Gurumoh is dead
- BREAKING…Dogara dumps APC for PDP
- Adeleke commences salary payment, vows to restore good governance