The Ilorin Zonal Command of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, on Tuesday, March 15, 2022 secured the conviction of two persons over offences bordering on cheating by personation, love scam and other internet related fraud.
The duo of Jamiu and Ibrahim who were prosecuted before Justices Adenike Akinpelu and Sikiru Oyinloye respectively on separate charges, pleaded guilty to their respective charge.
Following their guilty pleas, Innocent Mbachie and Aliyu Adebayo who prosecuted the cases on behalf of the Commission called a witness each to review the facts of the cases. The witnesses who are operatives of EFCC told the presiding Justices how credible intelligence led to the arrest of defendants.
The witnesses tendered the extra-judicial statements of the defendants, mobile phones and several fraudulent messages printed from their devices and were admitted in evidence.
The counsels told the courts to consider the plea of guilt entered by the defendants, the extra-judicial statements and all the exhibits tendered to convict them as charged.
The two Justices agreed that the EFCC had successfully established the cases against the defendants and pronounced each of them guilty.
Justice Akinpelu sentenced Jamiu to six months imprisonment with option of fine of N150,000 (One Hundred and Fifty Thousand Naira Only). The judge also ordered that one iphone XR which he used to perpetrate the crime and the sum of N7,333,192.8 (Seven Million, Three Hundred and Thirty-Seven Thousand, One Hundred and Ninety-Two Naira, Eight Kobo) which he benefited from his unlawful activities be forfeited to the Federal Government.
On the other hand, Justice Oyinloye sentenced Ibrahim to six months imprisonment with option of fine of N100,000 (One Hundred Thousand Naira Only). The court ordered that convict’s infinix phone recovered from him at the point of arrest and the sum of fifty Canadian dollars which he brought as restitution be forfeited to the Federal Government
- NUJ recognises Osoba, Dokpesi, others as icons in media industry
- Newly redesigned Naira now in banks, ready for issuance – Emefiele
- FG develops renewable energy policy to add 30,000MW of electricity
- Buhari congratulates ex-Minister of Defence, Theophilus Danjuma at 85
- Buhari celebrates renowned scholar, Prof. Umaru Shehu at 92
- CBN’s cash withdrawal policy’ll enhance financial inclusion – Expert
- DSS, oil marketers set to clear petrol queues in 48 hours
- FG gives update on Ajaokuta Steel resuscitation, legal tussle
- Ex-CAN President, Ayo Oritsejafor’s marriage crashes
- BREAKING…CBN begins distribution of redesigned naira notes to banks