The federal government has revealed that the pump price per liter of petrol will remain unchanged until negotiations with the organized labour on the full deregulation of the downstream petroleum sector is concluded.
The Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Timipre Sylva stated this on Tuesday during a chat with newsmen in Abuja.
There have been fears and anxieties that the price of petrol in Nigeria may jump from N162-N165 to as high as N300 per liter following the signing of the Petroleum Industry Bill (PIB) into law by President Muhammadu Buhari on Monday.
However, Sylva has now disclosed that before any increase can be announced, negotiations would have to be concluded.
He submitted: “So we will keep it here at N162 within that band now for the time being but we are also in the time at the moment trying to work out to allow the deregulation to come to fruition.”
He added that President Buhari himself will speak more on the PIB on Wednesday but deregulation of the sector will still happen.
When asked when Nigerians should expect the full deregulation to occur, Sylva refused to give a specific time.
“I cannot give you a timeline now. But it is not going to be too far from now because we have done quite a lot of extensive work,” he declared.
Meanwhile, the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) has disclosed that inflation dropped further to 17.38 per cent (year-on-year) in July 2021.
This was made known by the NBS in its Consumer Price Index report for June which was released on Tuesday
According to NBC, the latest drop is 0.37 points lower than the rate recorded in June 2021 (17.75 per cent).
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- Ndudi Elumelu wins PDP Reps ticket for 5th term
- FG imposes new tax on phone-calls to fund healthcare
- Abia Speaker wins PDP’s ticket for House of Reps
- Ali Isa emerges as PDP’s Balanga/Billiri Federal Constituency, Gombe, candidate
- Breaking…..Wahab Issa, Mohammed Ajia declared winner of PDP Reps primaries
- Lagos PDP calls for cancellation of primaries
- Commission begins screening of intending Christian pilgrims
- Ortom expresses satisfaction with work on roads, other projects
- 2023 Presidency: Lawan begs Kano to swing in his favour
- I’ll reform education sector if elected president —Lawan