The Minister of Defence, Maj Gen Bashir Salihi Magashi (rtd) has described the unfortunate death of the Chief of Army Staff Lt General Ibrahim Attahiru barely four months in the saddle as a rude shock and saddening.
Magashi in a condolence message issued by his Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mohammad Abdulkadri said the Air misharp that claimed the precious lives of the Chief of Army Staff alongside other senior officers and his aides represent a huge national disaster.
While condoling the Commander-in-Chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces, President Muhammadu Buhari, the Military and the Nigerian Army in particular as well as his immediate family and Nigeria in general, the Minister described late General Attahiru as a gallant, dogged, disciplined and dedicated senior officer who died in the line of duty to his fatherland.
Magashi recalled his unblemished track records of service to the nation as the Director Army Public Relations,(DAPR), Theatre Commander Operation Lafiya Dole and as the General Officer Commanding, GOC which culminated into his elevation to the enviable status of Chief of Army Staff (COAS) in January this year.
He described his emergence as the Army boss at such a critical times in the nation’s efforts at surmounting her internal security challenges as symbolically strategic but impactfully shortlived in the anals of the service.
“Although the late General died when his service is needed most, his short but eventful tenure as the Chief of Army Staff and over three decades of dedicated, selfless and patriotic service will never been forgotten.
“I pray Almighty Allah to forgive Late Lieutenant General Ibrahim Attahiru and to grant him Al-jannat Firdaus, I besiege God to grant the nation, the Military constituency and his beloved family the fortitude to bear the irreplaceable loss”, the Minister said.
- Lawan, Gbajabiamila sued over failure to cut N228.1bn NASS budget
- Kaduna State Internal Revenue Service insists on e-payment in hospitals
- Buhari invested more in vulnerable women, youth– Minister
- Buhari’s appointees sabotaging his administration– APC Stakeholders
- INEC won’t disappoint Nigerians in 2023 General Election– REC
- NYSC DG warns corps members against unauthorised trips
- 2023 election: Tinubu’s presidential bid is a divine project – Kekemeke
- 2023 Election: Clergy advises Nigerians to protect their votes
- Civil Society Organisations in Borno empathise with Nigerians over cash crunch
- Opinion: Peter Obi and the Obidient’s futile effort faking Sultan’s endorsement