The police on Tuesday arraigned a businessman, Onifade Ifacorade, in a Wuse Zone 6 Magistrates’ Court, Abuja, for alleged extortion of N371,000 from his customer.
The defendant, who resides in Nois Kapuwa village, Abuja, is facing a two-count charge bordering on extortion and cheating.
The prosecutor, Fatima Shehu, told the court that one Igboji Chikodi of Pambara New Extension Bwari, Abuja, reported the matter at the Lugbe Police Station, Abuja, on Oct.16.
Shehu said that sometime in July, the defendant criminally deceived and extorted N371, 000 from Chikodi, with a promise to assist boost his business.
The prosecutor alleged that the defendant reneged on his promise and absconded to an unknown place.
She told the court that the defendant, after his arrest, confessed to have collected only N303,000 from the complainant and not N371, 000, and efforts made to recover the money proved abortive.
According to her, the offence contravenes the provisions of Sections 322 and 292 of the Penal Code.
The defendant pleaded not guilty to the charge.
The Magistrate, Mrs Linda Chidama admitted him to bail in the sum of N500, 000 with one surety in like sum and adjourned the case until Nov. 30 for hearing.
- Nigerians should be wary of purveyors of fake news– Soludo
- MURIC HAILS ARMY OVER KADUNA GUN FACTORY DISCOVERY
- JUST IN….NIPR Insists Tinubu’s Spokesperson, Ajuri Ngelale not ‘Qualified’ for PR Job
- My appointment’ll foster closer ties between government and communities— Tinubu’s SSA
- (PHOTOS) Another Kano Princess, Asmau AbdulKadir Marries Iwo High Chief
- Breaking…. Kwara gets new Commissioner of Police, Olaiya Victor Mobolaji
- What police did to late Mohbad’s body after autopsy
- Make peace your priority, PCN National Commandant, Akoh charges Nigerians
- Update On Doctor Who Performed Surgery For Late Adebola Akin-Bright
- EFCC, FRSC Deepen Collaboration in Fighting Corruption