The Police Command in Akwa Ibom says it has arrested 40 persons suspected to be involved in armed robbery and cultism activities within Uyo metropolis.
The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), SP Odiko Macdon, disclosed this in a statement issued in Uyo and made available to newsmen on Friday.
Macdon said that based on intelligence information the tactical team of the command stormed criminal hideouts on Dec. 10, and arrested the suspects.
“On Thursday, Dec. 10, 2020, at about 0930hrs, Tactical Teams of the police command in Akwa Ibom, relying on credible information, in a painstaking operation stormed criminal hideouts within Uyo metropolis.
“This is believed to be part of the nest of some of the hoodlums responsible for Wednesday night’s breach of peace within Uyo.
“(Some) 40 suspected armed robbers/cultists were arrested; two locally-made pistols, five cutlasses, a bag of substance suspected to be Indian Hemp were among the exhibits recovered.
“On interrogation, suspects claimed to be part of the cult groups responsible for cult-related murder and robberies within Uyo metropolis recently,” Macdon said.
The PPRO added that a discreet investigation was ongoing to determine the extent of their culpability and that they would be charged to court immediately after investigations.
He said the command under the leadership of CP Andrew Amiengheme had zero tolerance for criminality in any part of the state.
He said that it would continue to do all, within its powers, to sustain the peaceful atmosphere of the state, especially during yuletide season.
He urged residents to support the police by giving timely and adequate information that could help check crime rate in the state.
- World cup riots break out after Morocco’s shock 2-0 win over Belgium
- UK Arrival: Some selected pictures of Emir of Ilorin
- Abuja-Kaduna Rail service starts in 7 days– FG
- Kwara govt. re-opens College of Education, Ilorin
- Dangote plans 300,000 fresh jobs for Nigerians
- Minister Okays Security Measures For Abuja/Kaduna Train Transport Scheme
- Adeleke freezes Osun bank accounts immediately after swearing-in
- Adekeke rename Osun after sworn in as sixth governor
- Nigeria to begin processing of raw gold, others — Minister
- Why we retained workers in Ajaokuta inspite not being fully operational — minister