Iwegbu said that the suspects were part of a gang of armed robbers that attacked Rubec Oil and Gas Station, located off Murtala Mohammed Way in Benin, in the early hours of Sunday.
“On the receipt of the information, the Commander, Police Crack Team, immediately mobilised a team of police operatives and vigilantes to the scene.
“The armed robbers were later successfully trailed to a different location where they were carrying out another armed robbery operation.
“On sighting the team of security operatives, the armed robbers opened fire on them which led to a gun duel.
“In the process, the superior fire power of the security operatives hit two of the armed robbers while others escaped with various degrees of bullet injury.
“The two suspected armed robbers were taken to the Police Cottage Hospital in Benin city where they were confirmed dead by the doctor and their bodies deposited at the mortuary,” she said.
The police spokesperson said one locally-made pistol and three live cartridges were recovered.
The commissioner reiterated his unwavering commitment to reduce criminal activities in the state.
He appealed to the public for timely information on the movement of criminals.
- 2023 election about competence, not religion– Tinubu Group
- 2023: Osinbajo group endorses Tinubu, receives APC letter of recognition
- Kwara Govt converts Ilorin General Hospital to teaching hospital
- I won’t forget Nigerians if elected, Tinubu vows
- Spectrum Auction will democratize broadband for Nigerians — Danbatta
- Olam, Kwara Govt treat communities on tropical diseases
- Presidential rally: Tinubu’s supporters besiege Teslim Balogun Stadium, Lagos
- Court fines PRP’s presidential candidate, Kola Abiola, for late documents filing
- Two FRSC officers crushed to death by truck in Akwa Ibom
- World cup: Host country Qatar eliminated