By Adekunle Ogbonnaiye, Ado-Ekiti
Ekiti State Police Command has arrested and paraded five suspects in connection of a kidnapped 67-year-old woman, Mrs. Florence Popoola.
According to the Commissioner of Police, Mr Abdullahi Chafe, the suspects were tracked down through the efforts of the anti-kidnapping unit of the police command.
The suspected kidnappers are; Adeoye Sunday (30), Adeusi Dare (26), Ogunlayi Seun (25), Bamigboye Damilola (27) and Ojo Tope (32), drove the woman to a thick forest in Awo-Ekiti and held her captive for four days. Read also: 23-yr-old Pastor infects pregnant woman with HIV in Port-Harcourt
ROYAL NEWS gathered that, A sum of N1.5 million was said to have been collected as ransom from the families of the victim before letting her off the hook on September 18 when the Police had closed in on them.
Parading them on Monday, Chafe, disclosed that N323,000, being the remainder of the ransom was recovered from them.
The Commissioner of police revealed that the woman was abducted shortly after arriving from the church and was whisked away in her Nissan Sunny car with registration number AG 08 KER.
The suspects who confessed to the crime revealed that they had used part of the ransom collected to rent a two-bedroom flat and purchased other luxury items.
Mrs. Popoola , while narrating her ordeal in the hands of the kidnappers said the suspects seized her phone and drove her
out of Ikere via Ilawe before arriving on the outskirts of Awo where she was held in captivity.
“They stopped at a place in the bush and they asked my children to be looking for money, that they should pay N1.5 million
for my freedom. “They offered me food but I rejected their food, they beat hell out of me and insisted that I should eat. I was forced to eat but I vomited, I defecated and urinated in the same spot where I was tied down.
“When they discovered that security men were on the trail, they changed location and continued to beat me that I have put them in
trouble. “After my children had paid the ransom, they were Read also: 74-yr-old man sentenced to death for hosting half-naked parties making moves to release me and they carried me on a bike to another unknown location.
“Some people coming from the church and night guards came to my rescue and assisted me in calling my family and it was around 9.00 pm that I breathed the air of freedom.”
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide
- Senate hints on Electoral Offences Bill for 2023 elections