President Buhari has finally addressed Nigerians since the beginning of the nationwide #EndSARS protests.
In a two-minute video posted on his Twitter handle this afternoon October 12, President Buhari said the disbandment of the police unit was the first step to extensive police reforms. The President added that operatives of the disbanded SARS found guilty of any form of offense would be brought to justice.
“Let me use this opportunity to say a word on the recent genuine concerns and agitations by Nigerians about the excessive use of force and in some cases extrajudicial killings and wrongful conduct by men of the Nigerian Police Force.
The disbanding of SARS is only the first step in our commitment to extensive police reforms in order to ensure that the primary duty of the police and other law enforcement agencies remains the protection of lives and livelihood of our people.
We will also ensure that all those responsible for misconduct or wrongful act are brought to justice” he said.
President Buhari also commented on the killing of a young man, Jimoh Isiaka, during the #EndSARS protest in Ogbomosho, Oyo state on Saturday, October 10.
We also deeply regret the loss of life of the young man in Oyo state during the recent demonstations. I have directed that the circumstances of his death should be thoroughly investigated”President Buhari said.
The President went on to recognize the efforts of genuine police officers who carry out their duties diligently.
Watch the video below;
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- FG declares Monday Oct. 10 as public holiday
- 2023: Be careful of politicians’ craftiness– Don warns journalists
- Kogi Assembly seals Dangote Cement factory
- Kwara NUJ holds Ilorin NBA in friendly match to mark 2022 Press week
- Google announces first Cloud Region in Africa
- Kaduna CP warns against extra judicial killings
- Senate moves to make Nigeria manufacturing country
- Senate exits Customs, FIRS, NCC, others from budget
- Senate confirms 19 RECs, NUPRC Executive Commissioner
- Ijara-Isin monarch hails TIC Chairman on birthday occasion