President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday in Abuja met some Àll Progressives Congress, APC senators who were aggrieved over the outcome of primary elections in their respective states ahead of the 2023 general elections and planning to defect to the opposition parties.
The lawmakers, numbering about 22, had vowed to defect from the party over the allaged injustices resulting from lack of internal democracy during the party’s primaries.
Already, seven APC senators, including the immediate past Senate Leader, Yahaya Abdullahi, representing Kebbi North, former governor of Kebbi State, Adamu Aliero, senator representing President Buhari in Katsina North, Ahmad Babba-Kaita; former Kano State governor, Ibrahim Shekarau, among others, have since jumped ships to the People’s Democratic Party, PDP and the New Nigeria People’s Party, NNPP.
There are indications that majority of other senators were planning or have concluded plans to leave the ruling APC, which made the national chairman of the party, Senator Abdullahi Adamu to have meeting with the caucus in the National Assembly recently.
Leading the delegation to President Buhari at the State House in Abuja, the Senate Chief Whip, Senator Orji Uzor Kalu, said the lawmakers felt disenfranchised by the process and conduct of the primaries.
Speaking at the meeting, President Buhari urged the senators to exercise restraint in their decision to defect from the APC
The president, while appealing to the lawmakers, said the defections were a threat to the APC’s majority in the National Assembly.
After the meeting, Kalu said the aggrieved Senators would no longer pursue defection from the APC.
“Earlier this afternoon, I led the 22 aggrieved Senators and members of the All Progressives Congress to President Muhammad Buhari, GCFR.
“Our meeting with Mr. President was successful and the issue of decamping from our party has been laid to rest,” the Chief Whip wrote on his social media page
The gradual loss of the majority by APC in the Senate, had created tensions in the ruling party and among patriotic members within and outside the National Assembly.
- 2023 election about competence, not religion– Tinubu Group
- 2023: Osinbajo group endorses Tinubu, receives APC letter of recognition
- Kwara Govt converts Ilorin General Hospital to teaching hospital
- I won’t forget Nigerians if elected, Tinubu vows
- Spectrum Auction will democratize broadband for Nigerians — Danbatta
- Olam, Kwara Govt treat communities on tropical diseases
- Presidential rally: Tinubu’s supporters besiege Teslim Balogun Stadium, Lagos
- Court fines PRP’s presidential candidate, Kola Abiola, for late documents filing
- Two FRSC officers crushed to death by truck in Akwa Ibom
- World cup: Host country Qatar eliminated