Protesters rally in Bishkek against appointment of new prime minister
No fewer than 200 people staged a protest in Bishkek on Wednesday against the appointment of opposition politician Sadyr Japarov as the country’s new prime minister.
Sputnik reports that the protest was held near Kyrgyzstan’s White House.
The participants said they were dissatisfied with Japarov’s appointment and demanded for young politicians to be given the opportunity to assume leadership of the country.
One of the organisers told Sputnik that protesters would rally peacefully and strictly in accordance with the law.
“We are tired of the same faces in politics. They just replace each other in a circle.
“When will it end? We must give way to new people!” an activist told Sputnik.
On Tuesday, Japarov was appointed the new prime minister of Kyrgyzstan at an emergency meeting of parliament.
He was just released from prison by protesters, where he was serving a term for taking a hostage during riots in 2013.
Opposition protesters have taken to the streets of Bishkek since Sunday’s parliamentary elections, which saw just four political parties surpass a seven percent vote threshold to gain seats in the Kyrgyz parliament.
On Monday, at least 2,000 supporters of parties that did not make it to the republic’s parliament in Bishkek but gathered at the central Ala-Too square.
They demanded that election results be canceled and a repeat vote be held.
In the evening, clashes between protesters and security officials began.
The Kyrgyz Central Election Commission has subsequently annulled the results of the vote.
Protesters managed to break into the White House, which contains the Central Asian country’s parliament and the presidential office, in the early hours of Tuesday.
Then they moved toward the State Committee for National Security, where the former leader of the country, Almazbek Atambayev, was in custody and freed him.
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- Ex-Nigerian Minister, Kola Jamodu installed as Asiwaju of Ere Kingdom (PHOTOS)
- IEYDA applauds Police, Army, others over peaceful conduct of polls
- How FG punished me for going to court over naira policy – Gov Matawalle
- Nigeria’s total public debt stock hits N46.25trn in Q4 2022 – NBS
- Asari Dokubo leads solidarity walk for President-Elect Tinubu in Rivers State
- MC Oluomo bans illegal Agbero taxes in part of Lagos
- Justice AbdulMuttalib Ambali’s demise, great loss to humanity Emir Sulu-Gambari
- TRIBUTE TO LATE HON. JUSTICE MUTALLIB AHMAD AMBALI OFR
- UNILORIN don, Prof. Aishatu Gobir gets new appointment, group reacts
- Ikpeazu sacks all Special Advisers, Aides