The attention of Jama’at Nasril Islam (JNI) in Kwara state has been drawn to an open letter written by the kwara state chapter of the Christian association of Nigeria (CAN) to his Excellency, the executive governor of Kwara state, Mallam Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq. We will like to state from the onset that it has never been the duty of JNI to reply letters on behalf of government, we believe it is sufficiently capable of replying any letter written to it by any individual or group of people, but because of the sensitivity of religious issue and the dangerous way CAN is taking it, we are compelled to respond by clarifying issues for the peace to reign in our state. We therefore state as follows;
1. Political appointment in the state has never been, to the best of our knowledge, based on religious representation but on the geo-political consideration. Had it been so based on religious representation Muslims in the state ought to have cried out for not having fair share of political appointment for a very long time. Is it fair to Muslims in Kwara state to have Muslim-Christian combination as governors and deputy governors respectively? Knowing full well that these deputy governors are picked from Muslim dominated areas like; Ifelodun, Oyun and Offa.
As a matter of fact, the last dispensation has been too unfair to Muslims’ sensibility in the state having picked a Christian deputy governor from Baruten local government where Christians may not constitute up to 2% of the population. In the same vein, the unreasonable attitude of CAN also became apparent when the governor was even accused of not having a Christian among the 9 members of the national assembly. This is highly ridiculous, divisive and irresponsible as the government has no hand whatsoever in who got elected to elective positions. It is but a blatant blackmail to create religious disharmony in the state.
2. The fact that Muslims in Kwara state have never been known to beat drums of war when it comes to religious agitation or openly kick against government policies does not mean that they don’t know their rights and responsibilities. The only guiding principle for Muslims who are the overwhelming majority in the state is to keep peace and tolerate Christians wherever they come from.
3. Hues and cries of marginalization in Kwara state by Christian groups are not new and this is not the first time such accusing fingers will be pointed to government. We are not therefore surprised to see similar thing in the present open letter to his Excellency. Christians must however be advised in their own interest that if Muslims are made to fraternize across local governments pushing aside ethnicity, tribal sentiment and political consideration, Christians will have themselves to be blame.
Finally, it is our candid opinion that all of us in the state irrespective of our religious leanings should support government at all levels and constructively criticize whenever the need arises. It is the development we want and it is the progress we aspire.
Professor Hamzat I. Abdulraheem
Secretary General JNI Kwara State
- Date of commencement of Ramadan fasting confirmed in Australia
- “You’re a mistake” Princess Shyngle announces her marriage to her “best friend” of 10 years is over after a few weeks
- Photos from the white wedding of comedian Arole
- Idea that Bello should not run for the Presidency is absurd– Fani-Kayode
- Resident doctors suspend strike for one month
- Princes William and Harry to walk behind Philip’s coffin, Maghan Markle to miss funeral
- We’re improving healthcare delivery in UCTH, says CMD
- Collective responsibility needed in fight against poverty- Sen. Okorocha
- CONUA rebuffs ASUU’s reconciliation move
- Buhari condoles with Gov. Buni over grandmother’s death
- Politics2 years ago
Breaking…Kwara assembly suspends 16 LGs chairmen
- News1 year ago
Army approves cigarettes allowance, N20,000 salary increment for soldiers
- Metro1 year ago
BREAKING…. Kwara govt announces total lockdown in Offa
- Education1 year ago
UNILORIN education faculty emerges best in Nigeria
- Politics1 year ago
Gbemi Saraki finally breaks silence, changes political slogan
- Politics1 year ago
Breaking… Kwara governor appoints Yinka Aluko S A Special Duties
- News2 years ago
Sokoto assembly confirms Gov Tambuwal’s 26 comissioner nominees
- Politics2 years ago
Breaking…GOV. ABDULRAZAQ APPOINTS COMMITTEE ON REVIEW OF SALES OF GOVT PROPERTY (See full names)