One of the prominent Sufi orders in Islam is the Tariqatul-Tijaniyyah, founded by a renowned Islamic Scholar of International repute, Sheikh Ahmad Al-Tijani and it spreads across West Africa and beyond through the effort of Shaykh Ibahim Niass who died in 1975.
Sheikh Ibrahim Niass was born in the village of Taiba, about 25 miles South of Kawlakh, Senegal on November 8, 1900 and was named after his maternal grandfather, Ibrahim Diakha.
Over years, the Shaykh distinguished himself not only as an icon of Sufism but, indeed, a role model, a great achiever, an outstanding, committed, ebullient, and indefatigable scholar of inestimable value. The Sheikh travelled wide around the world to propagate the pristine Islam and unite the Muslim community.
During his lifetime, his fields of activities include preaching, teaching and writing. As a roving preacher, Sheikh Niass travelled to number of places in Africa, Europe, America and Asia. He was also instrumental to global peace advocacy especially among Muslims and adherents of other faiths.
The Annual Maulid Sheikh Ibrahim Niass was however popularized in Nigeria by an association known as “Majmahu Ahbab Sheikh Ibrahim Niass” composed of adherents of Tijaniyyah and other Muslim brethren who gathered in Lagos to celebrate it and since then, the celebration continues to date.
Records have shown that the event was held in Kaduna in 1991, Oyo 1992, Kano 1993, Kwara 1994, Sokoto 1995, Osun 1996, Plateau 1997, Ogun 1998, Zamfara 1999, Ondo 2000, Gombe 2001, Katsina 2002, Niger 2003, Kogi 2004, Kano 2005, Abuja 2006, Kebbi 2007, Nasarawa 2008, Adamawa 2009, Kano 2010, Sokoto 2011, Niger 2012, JIgawa 2013, Gombe 2014, Bauchi 2015, Katsina 2016 and again, it was held for the second in Ilorin the Kwara State capital on Saturday 29 April 2017 being the 31st edition.
The mammoth crowd not less eight million that attended the event was unprecedented from across the Africa continent welcoming the Khalifatul-Am of Tijaniyyah worldwide, Sheikh Ahmed Tijani Niass
- Businesses crumble in Kaduna as traders lament scarcity of new, old naira notes
- Adeleke directs immediate payment of arrears of half salaries for civil servants
- INEC speaks on PVC safety as gunmen burn Anambra office
- Fuel scarcity: IPMAN assures petrol will be available in two weeks
- Why we are fighting corruption — Lai Mohammed
- EFCC restates commitments to tackling electoral fraud
- OPINION: As Kunle Akogun Hits Diamond Age
- PHOTO NEWS: Late Emir of Dutse requests to be buried in public cemetery
- N34.1bn generated as IGR in 2022– Kwara Govt
- Buhari inaugurates new MOFI Board, says FG targets N100trn