– The protesters disrupted the rally calling for the removal of Senator Abu Ibrahim
– Security operatives had to whisk dignitaries away to safety A political rally organised by the Katsina State chapter of All Progressives Congress (APC) turned violent when protesters descended on the dignitaries pelting them with stones.
According to NAN, the event took place on Saturday, April 15 where the APC was welcoming defectors from Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), the All Progressive Grand Alliance (APGA) and the Peoples Democratic Movement (PDM) and other parties into its fold. It was reported thatAbu Ibrahim, the senator representing Katsina South, and Amiru Tukur, the member representing Bakori/Danja Federal constituency in the House of Representatives narrowly escaped the mob action as stones and shoes were used to attack them. Senator Abu Ibrahim under attack in Katsina
Some vehicles in the entourage of the governor were smashed by irate youths while security personnel had to use tear-gas to disperse the crowds and free the dignitaries forcing the event to come to an abrupt end. Reports say trouble started when some youths started chanting “Bamaso Abu Ibrahim’’ (We don’t want Senator Abu Ibrahim) and then started throwing stones and shoes at dignitaries and entertainers invited to perform at the event. Amiru Tukur, the Representative from the area, suffered injury while Abu Ibrahim, along with some of his aides and supporters, who were trying to rescue the senator, were also assaulted. Before proceedings descended into chaos, Governor Aminu Masari had urged party members to promote the party’s manifesto. The governor reiterated his administration’s commitment to giving proactive leadership that would turn around things for the better in the state. youths chase after vehicles of dignitaries at the APC rally in Katsina He said the government would ensure increased investments in education, health, water supply, agriculture among other areas. In his remark, the Katsina state chairman of the APC, Shitu Shitu, said thousands of people were trooping to the party based on its achievements, adding that similar rally was organised in Dutsi local government for Katsina North senatorial zone recently. He assured the new members of fair treatment in the party affairs. Speaking on behalf of those who defected, a former chairman of Malumfashi Local Government Area, Mansur Banki, said he led more than 5,000 persons to join the APC from the PDP because of the good programmes of President Muhammadu Buhari and Governor Masari.
- Emefiele reveals what will happen to old naira notes after Feb. 10 deadline
- Peace Corps sets for Buhari’s assent to Bill, begins members’ training
- NURTW warns members against rejecting old naira notes
- JAMB opens up on extending registration
- JAMB suspends CBT centre in Kwara for violating rules
- COVID-19 remains International health threat, WHO warns
- 59 confirmed dead and 157 injured in Pakistan mosque bomb blast
- Redesigned notes: Lagos residents groan as scarcity hits hard
- West Ham set up Man United tie by beating Derby
- No room for deadline extension, JAMB Registrar, Oloyede warns prospective applicants