The National Association of Nigeria Nurses and Midwives (NANNM) has suspended its over one month strike action.
ROYAL NEWS reports that the union had been on strike since 26th of April, 2018.
Mr Joseph Adekanye, the State Chairman of the association stated this on Monday, during a Press Conference at the Nurses House Secretariat in Ilorin.
Adekanye disclosed that the nurses decide to suspend the strike action “to honour a nurse, Alhaji Rifun kolo, appointment as Commissioner for Health by Gov Abdulfatah Ahmed of Kwara.
According to him, the association has decided to allow one of their own, a nurse appointed as Commissioner, to act proactively in helping the government to solve some of the challenges in the health sector.
He said: “The Commissioner came on board while we are on strike, but we have decided to give him the benefit of the doubt, in between now and six months time.
“If the government is serious, a space of six month is enough to address the issues that has been brought forth to the government.
Adekanye listed some of the challenges the Kwara nurses are facing to include, request for 100 percent implementation of Consolidated Health Salary Structure (CONHESS).
He said it was long overdue and that the nurses agreed to 10 percent increase over the current 50 percent CONHESS to make 60 percent in salaries of Nurses and Midwives in the state.
The Nurses association Chairman appealed to the state government to work hard in ensuring the implementation of the CONHESS to reduce the mass exodus of nurses and midwives from public service for greener pastures.
- Opinion: Peter Obi and the Obidient’s futile effort faking Sultan’s endorsement
- New Naira Notes: Police begins patrol of banks in Kwara
- Naira redesign: Customers urge CBN to sanction banks not paying N20,000 over the counter
- Fuel scarcity: IPMAN laments inability to source products
- Gov. Akeredolu swears in new chief judge, 4 high court judges
- Two suspects arrested for possessing, selling counterfeit N1000 notes
- Nigerian Actress enters trouble for spraying, stepping on new naira notes
- TINUBU’S CAMPAIGN SHUTS DOWN EKITI, SAYS NOTHING CAN STOP APC’S VICTORY
- 2023: Muslim Media Watch Urges Security Agencies To Fine-Tune Strategies
- IGP orders arrest, prosecution of sellers of new naira note