A 40yr-old mother, Mercy Segun, was on Wednesday arraigned at a Karmo Grade 1 Area Court in Abuja for allegedly beating her daughter and pouring pepper into her vagina.
Mercy, who resides at Idu Gbagyi, Karmo, is facing a three-count of criminal force, assault and causing hurt to a minor.
The prosecutor, Mrs. Florence Auhioboh, told the court that the defendant’s neighbour, one Gift Afegua, reported the matter at the Karmo Police Station on August 22.
She alleged that Mercy, knowing her daughter to be a minor, ill-treated her by pouring ground pepper into the girl’s vagina.
Auhioboh told the court that the defendant’s action caused the minor serious pain.
The prosecutor said the offences contravened sections 246, 265 and 238 and of the Penal Code.
The defendant, however, denied the charges.
The judge, Mr. Abubakar Sadiq, granted Mercy bail in the sum of N30,000, with a surety in like sum.
He ordered that the surety must reside within the court’s jurisdiction and adjourned the case till September 25 for hearing.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Nigeria in Calamitous situation over oil theft, vandalism, others — NNPCL
- Minister, others reject Senate’s bill on proposed innovation agency
- Senate urges FG to protect shorelines at Bayelsa communities
- Senate suspends report on vacation of citizen’s watchlist by DSS
- Senate directs NLNG to pay host communities N18.4bn compensation
- Buhari to presents 2023 budget to NASS Oct. 7
- Gov. Abdulrazaq, KAMWIRE, Etsu Patigi, others for Kwara NUJ award
- Nigeria/India engages to boost volume of trade, economic activities
- Scandal rocks CCB as commissioners accuse chairman of corruption
- Atala Oil Field: NUPRC under fire in Senate over wrongful re-allocation