Mr Tesfaye Bekele, the Head of Ogoja Sub Office of the United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) in Cross River, says refugees all over the world have the right to seek asylum.
The football match, which the Cameroonian refugee team won by 10-9 through penalty kick, was one of the activities lined up to commemorate the 2022 World Refugee Day celebration.
Bekele said the football match was organised to give the refugees a sense of belonging.
“Every June 20, the entire world is celebrating refugees; and the theme for this year is ‘Whoever, Wherever, Whenever,’ everyone has the right to safety.
“It means that everyone has the right to seek asylum, regardless of their ethnicity, race or religion at any place all over the world.
“Nobody can ask them not to seek for safety because they are running from their own country to seek for safety in another country,” he said.
He added that the celebration signified that the refugees were protected, supported and received by the state and federal governments, UN agency and other partners.
- FG lost N113m over Abuja-Kaduna railway closure – NRC
- Aisha Buhari withdraws case against critic Aminu Mohammed
- INEC announces dates for PVCs collection
- Ronaldo denies reports he swore at Portugal coach over substitution
- Lagos marks International Day of Persons with Disabilities
- Soludo presents appointment letters to 5, 000 newly recruited teachers in Anambra
- Again, INEC office set ablaze in Imo
- No end to fuel scarcity — Oil marketers
- Naira depreciates marginally, exchanges at 445.83 to dollar
- YABATECH suspends ‘students’ week’ over shooting incident on campus