Mr Tesfaye Bekele, the Head of Ogoja Sub Office of the United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) in Cross River, says refugees all over the world have the right to seek asylum.
The football match, which the Cameroonian refugee team won by 10-9 through penalty kick, was one of the activities lined up to commemorate the 2022 World Refugee Day celebration.
Bekele said the football match was organised to give the refugees a sense of belonging.
“Every June 20, the entire world is celebrating refugees; and the theme for this year is ‘Whoever, Wherever, Whenever,’ everyone has the right to safety.
“It means that everyone has the right to seek asylum, regardless of their ethnicity, race or religion at any place all over the world.
“Nobody can ask them not to seek for safety because they are running from their own country to seek for safety in another country,” he said.
He added that the celebration signified that the refugees were protected, supported and received by the state and federal governments, UN agency and other partners.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- Emir Sulu-Gambari set to install Balogun Gambari as most senior counsellor in Ilorin Emirate
- Divorce: JJC Skillz divorces Nollywood Star, Funke Akindele
- Gov Zulum directs promotion of deserving civil servants
- Kano APC Senator, Shekarau finally defects to NNPP
- Senate Confirms Buhari 7 Ministerial Norminees
- Fraud: Senate summons NIA boss over N/Delta activists’ blacklist by DSS
- Organ harvesting: Senate delegation to visit Ekweremadu, wife in London
- Ado-Ekiti Yahoo-Boy Jailed Two Years for Scam, Loses N13m Car to FG
- Money-politics affecting Nigeria’s political processes— Ex-Minister
- Kwara monarch introduces new currency for business activities in own community