A pandemonic scene was recorded in Owode, Yewa South Local Government Area of Ogun State after some men suspected to be soldiers of the Nigerian Army shot and killed two siblings for allegedly smuggling foreign rice.
The incident occurred after the military operatives accosted the older sibling and attempted to seize the vehicle he was conveying the smuggled foreign rice with.
After an altercation ensued, some people called his younger brother, popularly known as Saheed Elegusi. The two brothers were shot dead by the soldiers who fled the scene immediately.
This angered some youths in the area and pushed them into setting bonfires on the Sango-Idiroko road, affecting vehicular movements for hours. The mob also attacked an officer of the Nigerian Air Force and killed him in retaliation.
Ogun State Police Public Relations Officer, Abimbola Oyeyemi who confirmed the incident, said the slain Air Force officer was in uniform when he unknowingly ran into the mob who lynched him.
Oyeyemi who revealed that the Commissioner of Police had directed the Homicide section to take over the matter, added;
“Yes, the incident happened yesterday. I think it was caused by an argument between them (the two brothers) and men of the Nigerian Army. We are still investigating.
“But do you know that the people killed an Air Force officer who was just passing on his own?
“He was just going on his own, he had nothing to do with the crisis. They just mobbed him and killed him because he was in uniform.
“Anyway, investigation is ongoing.
“The situation has been brought under control. The area is calm now. The Divisional Police Officer of Owode and some other policemen were able to move into the scene quickly,”
- DMO issues 2 FGN savings bonds at N1,000 per unit
- Adamawa Govt. increases 2023 budget to N175bn
- SMEDAN empowers 90 youth with sewing machines, others in Plateau
- Rukaiya Atiku backs husband as ‘only candidate who supports women’
- Eto’o tenders apology over violent conduct
- Atiku visits Ooni, pledges restructuring
- Buhari transmits FCT 2023 Budget to Senate
- Obi has nothing to offer Nigerians says APC
- Morocco win Spain 3-0 on penalty knock out
- Kanye celebrates Saint’s 7th birthday at Kim’s house