“Let an Easter truce begin, but not to reload the weapons and resume the fight. No. A truce to achieve peace through real negotiations,” the Pontiff said, after celebrating Palm Sunday Mass in St. Peter’s Square.
It was the first Palm Sunday Mass with the public in attendance since the COVID pandemic, and Poe Francis said that the “folly of war” leads people to commit “senseless acts of cruelty.”
Francis did not explicitly cite Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, but the reference was clear and he has repeatedly denounced the war and the suffering brought to innocent people.
During his Palm Sunday homily, the pontiff said: “When we resort to violence … we lose sight of why we are in the world and even end up committing senseless acts of cruelty. We see this in the folly of war, where Christ is crucified yet another time.”
Francis lamented “the unjust death” of husbands and sons, refugees fleeing bombs, young people deprived of a future, and “soldiers sent to kill their brothers and sisters.”
Last Wednesday the pope had described the killings of civilians in the Ukrainian city of Bucha when it was occupied by the Russian military as a “massacre.”
In the square tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists clutched olive branches and braided palms, recreating the moment when Jesus’s followers spread palm branches at his feet and called him their “saviour” as he made a triumphal entry into Jerusalem.
Traditionally, the pope leads a Palm Sunday procession through the square before celebrating Mass. Francis has been suffering from a strained ligament in his right knee that has caused him to limp, and he was driven in a black car to the altar, which he then reached leaning on an aide.
Many of the 1.2 billion Catholics across the world celebrated on Sunday.
Palm Sunday opens Holy Week leading up to Easter, which this year falls on 17 April.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- Foundation produces 65 graduates, gets donation from Davido
- I’ll work with NASS to restructure Nigeria – Atiku
- 2023: I will end banditry in 6 months, says Wike
- Blasphemy: No ‘jungle justice’ in Islam, Group backs Sultan Abubakar
- Prophet Muhammad Was Insulted While Alive, Yet He Didn’t Kill Anybody – Sheikh Gumi
- I’m only PDP presidential aspirant to win APC– Wike
- SOKOTO IMBROGLIO: MURIC CONDEMNS LOOTING, ATTACKS ON CHURCHES
- Kwara Police Spokesman, Ajayi Okasanmi loses father at 84, Gov. Abdulrazaq mourns
- Emefiele quits 2023 presidential race— Source
- 2023: We can’t afford to make mistakes, Saraki tasks Delta delegates