“Let an Easter truce begin, but not to reload the weapons and resume the fight. No. A truce to achieve peace through real negotiations,” the Pontiff said, after celebrating Palm Sunday Mass in St. Peter’s Square.
It was the first Palm Sunday Mass with the public in attendance since the COVID pandemic, and Poe Francis said that the “folly of war” leads people to commit “senseless acts of cruelty.”
Francis did not explicitly cite Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, but the reference was clear and he has repeatedly denounced the war and the suffering brought to innocent people.
During his Palm Sunday homily, the pontiff said: “When we resort to violence … we lose sight of why we are in the world and even end up committing senseless acts of cruelty. We see this in the folly of war, where Christ is crucified yet another time.”
Francis lamented “the unjust death” of husbands and sons, refugees fleeing bombs, young people deprived of a future, and “soldiers sent to kill their brothers and sisters.”
Last Wednesday the pope had described the killings of civilians in the Ukrainian city of Bucha when it was occupied by the Russian military as a “massacre.”
In the square tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists clutched olive branches and braided palms, recreating the moment when Jesus’s followers spread palm branches at his feet and called him their “saviour” as he made a triumphal entry into Jerusalem.
Traditionally, the pope leads a Palm Sunday procession through the square before celebrating Mass. Francis has been suffering from a strained ligament in his right knee that has caused him to limp, and he was driven in a black car to the altar, which he then reached leaning on an aide.
Many of the 1.2 billion Catholics across the world celebrated on Sunday.
Palm Sunday opens Holy Week leading up to Easter, which this year falls on 17 April.
- Olam, Kwara Govt treat communities on tropical diseases
- Presidential rally: Tinubu’s supporters besiege Teslim Balogun Stadium, Lagos
- Court fines PRP’s presidential candidate, Kola Abiola, for late documents filing
- Two FRSC officers crushed to death by truck in Akwa Ibom
- World cup: Host country Qatar eliminated
- How pastors treWe both wept when Sammie Okposo told me how pastors treated him – Apostle Suleman
- My presidential ambition is for Nigeria’s future– Peter Obi
- PDP reschedules campaign flag off in Nasarawa over police permit
- UniAbuja ASUU protest unpaid salaries
- Unilorin V-C extols Prof. Gambari’s virtues @ 78