No fewer than persons were reported dead while three others sustained injuries in an accident, which occurred at Apake on the old Ogbomoso-Ilorin road on Friday.
Confirming the accident, the Oyo State FRSC Sector Commander, Mrs Chukwurah Uche, told News Agency of Nigeria in Ibadan that two male adults died and not four as being speculated.
Uche said that a Mitsubishi Pickup, which was conveying nine passengers, had a brake failure, lost control and rammed into two stationary motorcycles and a car.
“Two persons on the stationary motorcycles lost their lives on the spot while three others persons sustained injuries, which included the motor boy of the pickup vehicle.
“The Mitsubishi Pickup vehicle had nine passengers, eight males and one female, which was overloaded and against the social distancing order imposed due to the Coronavirus pandemic.
“Maybe the vehicle was trying to evade arrest by the FRSC officials on the road knowing fully well that officials would stop him and aware that he had committed an offence of overloading,’’ Uche said.
The sector commander said that the injured persons had been treated and discharged while the corpses had been deposited at Ladoke Akintola Teaching Hospital, Ogbomoso.
- Ex-CAN President, Ayo Oritsejafor’s marriage crashes
- BREAKING…CBN begins distribution of redesigned naira notes to banks
- Celine Dion cancels shows over incurable disease
- Reps disagree with CBN, orders suspension of cash withdrawal limit
- Abducted Ondo monarch regains freedom
- Petrol price disparity: Marketers issue seven-day ultimatum
- KWASSIP starts public workfare programme to alleviate poverty
- Again, naira loses to dollar, exchanges at 445.83
- Sanwo-Olu impregnated my mother in 1994 — Delta man claims he’s gov’s son
- Gov Ortom invites Buhari to commission Benue project