Sodiq Adebisi, a footballer has died after he reportedly slumped during a training session at the Dipo Dina International Stadium, Ijebu-Ode, Ogun State.
It was gathered that the player was undergoing training along with other footballers on Saturday when the incident happened.
Seeing the 34-year-old fall to the ground, his teammates reportedly rushed him to a state hospital in Ijebu-Ode.
However, after spirited efforts by medical staff at the hospital, Sodiq was later pronounced dead the same day he was taken to the hospital.
Governorship Election Live Updates
I don’t need to be footballer to be sports minister – Enoh
11 footballers arrested for match-fixing in Hong Kong
Sad! How ex-Eagles star Femi Opabunmi went from grace to grass
Our correspondent further learnt that the corpse of the deceased had been deposited at the state mortuary in Ijebu-Ode.
When contacted, the state Police Public Relations Officer, Omolola Odutola, confirmed the incident to our correspondent on Tuesday and disclosed that the deceased footballer’s brother, Ganiyu Adebisi, had approached the Igbeba Police Division to demand the corpse for burial.
“The brother came to report the incident at our Igbeba division. The family said they don’t want any investigation and that they wanted to bury the deceased according to Islamic rite,” Odutola stated.
- Oyebanji Unveils N12bn Economic Relief Programme
- (PHOTOS) Ex-Finance Minister, Okonjo-Iweala bags Timor Leste’s second highest national honour
- Kwara CP sues for peaceful demonstration ahead of planned protest (FULL STATEMENT)
- Nnamdi Kanu knows fate on fresh bail battle March 19
- Ex-DSP, Ekweremadu commends Nigerians for solidarity, prayers
- 16, 920 applicants jostle for UNILORIN’s admission
- 3 kids of same parents die of suffocation in Ilorin
- SERAP sues Wike, 36 govs ‘over failure to account for missing N40trn LGAs allocations’
- Lifted sanctions: Begin democratic process now, Northern Senators task Niger
- Group calls for arrest of cleric wanting Tinubu’s wife