The incident caused panic and pandemonium among the seminarians and passersby as frantic efforts to revive the deceased failed.
Some students interviewed on Saturday morning said the deceased, a native of Benue State, was dramatising the character of the biblical Peter during the activities marking crucifixion of Jesus Christ when the ugly incident happened.
One of the students, Mavis, said that the 25-year-old first year student of Philosophy died on the spot.
The student said: “He was playing the role of the biblical Peter in the dream to demonstrate how Peter cut the ear of one of the Roman soldiers who came to arrest Christ and Jesus fixed the ear and as the drama was going on he slumped and died.
“So the young man fell on the floor and started bleeding. We took him to our school hospital and the doctors did their best to revive him but he was not responding.
“We took him to the Federal Medical Centre in Owerri and that was where he was certified dead.
“The drama was in commemoration of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ in respect to the Easter celebration. He was born in 1997. He is a year one student and had the dream of becoming a priest in the Catholic church.”
It was observed that the school premises was quiet as everyone was in a mourning mood.
The priest in charge of Students Affairs in the university, Fr Chukwuemeka Iheme, told newsmen that the institution would brief the public after the “authority gives us permission to do so.”
(Text, excluding headline, courtesy of The
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- EFCC traces N130m illegal trasnfer into ex-Speaker Patricia Etteh’s account
- FCTA laments influx of beggars from states
- NERC releases update on alleged Tariff increment
- Saraki woos Osun PDP delegates, canvasses support for Adeleke
- PHOTO NEWS: Tinubu visits Kwara, salutes Emir Sulu-Gambari
- Tinubu assures of victory against any PDP candidate
- KWACCIMA pleads with FG to reopen Kwara, Niger borders
- Minister promises NDC more supports for effective performance
- 2023: Why I want to contest for Ilorin West/ Asa Reps— Ajia
- BREAKING…. Many school children, others affected as explosion rocks Kano