The world has lost one the titans of popular music, an artist so revered that her title, the Queen of Soul, went entirely unchallenged. Aretha Franklin was 76 years old.
Over the course of her career Franklin had dozens of hits, among them Respect, (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman, I Say a Little Prayer, Chain of Fools, Ain’t No Way, Think, The House That Jack Built, I Knew You Were Waiting and Freeway of Love, to name just a few.
She performed for presidents, won 18 Grammys, and sold out shows wherever she traveled until last year, when doctors ordered her off the road.
She also had the unwavering respect of musicians, actors, artists, directors, politicians and other celebrities around the globe, and today tributes are flooding in on social media.
Smokey Robinson, Paul McCartney, Carole King, Hugh Jackman, Shania Twain, Elton John, Shonda Rhimes, Al Sharpton, Annie Lennox, Diana Ross and Bill Clinton are just a few of the luminaries paying their respects.
“This morning my longest friend in this world went home to be with our Father,” wrote soul legend Smokey Robinson. “I will miss her so much but I know she’s at peace.”
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide
- Senate hints on Electoral Offences Bill for 2023 elections