No fewer than 2,000 residents of Abuja at weekend participated in a 7.6 kilometre road walk and exercise designed to promote lifestyles among other benefits, ROYAL NEWS reports.
It was gathered that the programme which was tagged: “Abuja Walk the Talk”, was organised by the Wellbeing Foundation Africa in partnership with the World Health Organisation Nigeria as well as the Federal Ministry of Health and Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports Development.
It would be recalled that WHO had its reort disclosed that, globally, 1 in 4 adults are not active enough, and insufficient physical activities is a key risk factor for non-communicable diseases (NCDs) such as cardiovascular diseases, cancer and diabetes.
Speaking at the event, the Wife of the Nigeria’s Senate President, Mrs Toyin Ojora-Saraki, noted that With the Abuja Walk the Talk event, “we are observing the World Health Organisation’s Health for All challenge, which is a part of the Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus’ initiative of Putting People First in achieving Universal Health Coverage.”
Mrs. Ojora-Saraki who is also the Founder-President of WBFA added that, “It is the first time a country office of the WHO has actually done this walk, and the Wellbeing Foundation Africa is delighted to collaborate with the WHO to work towards Universal Health Coverage for all, especially in Nigeria.
“To stay healthy, I believe everyone should have at least 35 minutes of walking three times a week, as this helps the cardiovascular system, especially with blood circulation. This years’ walk was wonderful with over 2,000 people turning out to partake in the 7.6km walk, and I hope that next year we will have over 20,000 people come out to participate.”
In his remarks, the World Health Organization Representative and Head of Mission in Nigeria, Dr. Wondi Alemu, stated that, “Exercise should continue on a personal basis, at least three times a week with a minimum duration of 30 minutes annually.
“This Abuja Walk the Talk road walk is an opportunity to get people to take exercising seriously and practice what we talk about with regards to frequent exercise for healthier life.”
- Morocco win Spain 3-0 on penalty knock out
- Kanye celebrates Saint’s 7th birthday at Kim’s house
- NiMet alerts on thick dust haze in Kano, Katsina, others
- Naira redesigned: Maximum cash withdrawal now N100,000
- Samuel Eto’o attacks man outside stadium in Qatar
- NBA President shuns call to bar ceremony presided over by Olanipekun
- Media Watch Group Carpets Security Agencies Over ‘State Of The Nation’
- FG developed Lagos, not Tinubu– Atiku
- Chatham House: Atiku group berates Tinubu’s conduct
- Chatham House: Tinubu clarifies his age, paternity