Mrs. Oluchukwu Ajulufo, a journalist who worked with Ray Power (Daar Communications), has emerged the governorship candidate of Labour Party for the Nov. 18, governorship election in Anambra.
Ajulufo was nominated by unanimous vote of the 64-man delegate at the primary election in Awka on Saturday.
Ajulufo is the second female to emerge as governorship candidate after Mrs Kate Okafor of African Conscience Democrat (ACD).
The National Chairman of Labour Party, Alhaji Abdulkadir Abdulsalam, who declared Ajulufo winner of the primary, expressed satisfaction with the process.
According to him, two persons participated in the exercise, one did not meet up with the electoral guidelines while the other person, who met the guideline has been declared as the party’s candidate.
Abdulsalam, who described Ajulufo’s emergence as a “divine mandate”, also expressed confidence that the party will win the Nov. 18 governorship election.
While soliciting the support of party faithful, the national chairman urged aggrieved persons to file petition which he said will be looked into critically.
“We are ideological and social democrats and we do not impose candidate or carry out selective justice,” he said.
In her remarks, Ajulufo commended the exercise and Labour party for accommodating a female candidate.
“If elected, I will ensure security of lives and property, employment opportunities for youths and women and robust agricultural programmes to make the state food basket of the nation, among others.”
However, Mr Okey Enemuo an aspirant at the primary and former House of Representatives member expressed dissatisfaction with the outcome of the exercise, describing it as “laughing stock”.
“As far as I am concerned, no primary election held today.
“Throughout the time I prepared for this primary and all through my campaigns in the wards, no one showed up to contest against me.
“I was supposed to be the consensus and only candidate but what we saw today is laughable.
“Ajulufo never declared interest; otherwise, she should show evidence of payment for forms.
“Besides, she is still a member of the national executive of the party who has not even resigned her position. This is unethical and illegal,” Enemuo
- Kashim Shettima delivers Al-Hikmah convocation lecture
- (PHOTOS) IGP Egbetokun, Amb. Sulu-Gambari, others bag Al-Hikmah Ph.D
- AMR’ll account for 10 million annual deaths by 2050- WHO
- ANHEJ advocates for increased budgetary allocation to health sector
- Emir Sulu-Gambari hosts Kauran Namoda, Imo monarchs in Ilorin (PHOTOS)
- PHOTO NEWS: EFCC Ilorin zonal organises road-walk against corruption
- Photo News: ROYAL NEWS 10th anniversary, public lecture, book presentation
- Court grants ex-AGF, Adoke permission to celebrate Xmas with family in Dubai
- NJC recommends compulsory retirement of Osun High Court Judge, orders probe into 51 petitions against others
- UNESCO Inscribes Sango Festival in World Heritage List