By Olugbenga Salami
The National Assembly has passed for third reading nine different bills sponsored by different senators for establishment of new federal universities, polytechnics and colleges of education in the country on Wednesday.
The passage of the nine bills one of which was the one which seeks for establishment of Federal University of Education Aguleri in Anambra State, sponsored by Senator Victor Umeh, APGA-Anambra Central, was sequel to recommendations made to that effect in a cumulative reports presented by the chairman Senate Committee on Tertiary Institutions and TETFUND, Senator Jubril Barau, APC-Kano North.
Aside the Federal University of Education Aguleri, other federal institutions established through the passage of the bills are Federal University of Technology Manchok in Kaduna State, Federal Polytechnic, Daura in Katsina State and Federal Polytechnic Ikom in Cross Rivers State.
Others are the Federal Polytechnic Langtang in Plateau State, Federal Polytechnic Kabo in Kano State and National Institute of Construction Technology and Management, Uromi in Edo State.
Federal Colleges of Education established through passage of the bills are Federal College of Education (Technical), Arochukwu in Abia State and the Federal College of Education, Usugbenu- Irrua in Edo State.
In remarks after the passage of the bills, the Deputy Senate President, Senator Ike Ekweremadu who presided over the session, said assenting to them by President Muhammadu Buhari would go a long way in making education acquisition centres available for the teeming millions of school age Nigerians seeking for self .discovery knowledge.
He added that approval of the federal schools , would further register required federal presence in the affected communities with attendant positive multiplier effects.
- BREAKING…. Appeal Court declares PDP winner of Ilorin South assembly elections
- EFCC arraigns former Finance Commissioner, Demola Banu today
- Adelabu floors Seyi Makinde at Appeal Court
- Suspected political thugs set Kogi SDP secretariat ablaze
- SERAP sends anti-Buhari open letter to Archbishop of Canterbury
- SAD…Ex-Petroleum Minister dies at 83
- BREAKING…President resigns after re-election
- Buhari rejoices with Kaigama over appointment
- See full names of newly promoted Army, Naval and Airforce Officers
- Maulud Nabbiy ‘ll promote religious tolerance, says Omo-Agege