The Senate on Tuesday passed an amendment to the Electoral Act 2022 to allow statutory delegates participate in political parties’ congresses and conventions.
The current version, which was assented to by President Muhammadu Buhari in February this year, fails to accommodate statutory delegates to take part in party primaries.
Statutory delegates include councillors, local government chairmen and their vice, political party chairmen in all the 774 LGAs, state and federal lawmakers, governors and their deputies, president and vice president, political parties’ National Working Committee members, state party chairmen and secretaries.
The Senate amended the clause after considering a bill sponsored by Deputy Senate President Ovie Omo-Agege during plenary on Tuesday.
The amendment will allow statutory delegates, in addition to the delegates elected by various political parties, vote during congresses and conventions to elect candidates for various political offices.
Speaking after the Red Chamber passed the bill, Senate President Ahmad Lawan said it was an “unintended omission that need to be urgently corrected befor the commencement of party primaries next week.
He said the House of Representatives would also passed the same amendment on Wednesday before transmitting it to the president for assent latest next week.
He said the amendment had become imperative to ensure that no one is denied his rights during political parties’ activities.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- PHOTO NEWS: Faces at NDC security seminar held in Abuja
- EFCC traces N130m illegal trasnfer into ex-Speaker Patricia Etteh’s account
- FCTA laments influx of beggars from states
- NERC releases update on alleged Tariff increment
- Saraki woos Osun PDP delegates, canvasses support for Adeleke
- PHOTO NEWS: Tinubu visits Kwara, salutes Emir Sulu-Gambari
- Tinubu assures of victory against any PDP candidate
- KWACCIMA pleads with FG to reopen Kwara, Niger borders
- Minister promises NDC more supports for effective performance
- 2023: Why I want to contest for Ilorin West/ Asa Reps— Ajia