The Senate on Wednesday, mourned the recent killing of over 40 persons, including 7 soldiers by terrorists in the southern part of Taraba State.
This followed a point of order by Senator Emmanuel Bwacha (APC, Taraba South).
Coming under Order 42 of the Senate Standing Orders 2022 as amended, Bwacha drew the attention of the chamber to the incidents of banditry and terrorism that occurred in Southern Taraba on Tuesday.
He noted that the attackers came on motorbikes and killed over 40 people, including soldiers who were mobilized to protect the community.
The lawmaker consoled with Military authorities over the loss of its men and officers in the line of duty.
He appealed to the Federal Government to direct the relevant agencies to provide relief materials to the victims of the attack.
The Senate President, Ahmad Lawan, called on Nigerians to support the military by providing the needed motivation and information to enable them tackle the problem of insecurity.
Lawan said, “Let me also say that the military and our armed forces are doing their best, we have no alternative but to support them in whatever way possible.
“Here in the Senate and National Assembly, we have been appropriating funds for our armed forces, and I believe that this administration has provided more resources to them to fight the various forms and ramifications of insecurity in the country than any previous one.
“So, we will continue to give that kind of support. And I also want to urge all Nigerians to continue to support our armed forces because they are doing so much even though we don’t have enough for them.
“But I believe that the support of citizens for the armed forces will galvanize and keep them motivated.”
The Senate, thereafter, observed a minute silence to all those killed by terrorists in Southern Taraba.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- Ndudi Elumelu wins PDP Reps ticket for 5th term
- FG imposes new tax on phone-calls to fund healthcare
- Abia Speaker wins PDP’s ticket for House of Reps
- Ali Isa emerges as PDP’s Balanga/Billiri Federal Constituency, Gombe, candidate
- Breaking…..Wahab Issa, Mohammed Ajia declared winner of PDP Reps primaries
- Lagos PDP calls for cancellation of primaries
- Commission begins screening of intending Christian pilgrims
- Ortom expresses satisfaction with work on roads, other projects
- 2023 Presidency: Lawan begs Kano to swing in his favour
- I’ll reform education sector if elected president —Lawan