*Education institutions in Kwara, Imo too
Senate has passed two bills to establish a Federal University in the Federal Capital Territory, FCT and Rivers State.
They are the FCT University of Science and Technology Abaji (Establishment) Bill, 2022; and Federal University of Environmental Technology, Koroma/Saakperwa Tai Ogoni, Rivers State (Establishment) Bill, 2022 respectively.
The bills were passed after the consideration of two separate reports presented by the Committee on Tertiary Institutions and TETFund, chaired by Senator Ahmad Babba Kaita.
In his presentation, the vice chairman of the committee, Senator Sandy Onuh on behalf of the chairman, said the bill to establish the Federal Capital Territory University of Science and Technology, Abaji, would provide the legal framework needed by the institution to close the knowledge gap in science and technology.
Onuh added that the bill to establish the Federal University of Environmental Technology, would allow for academic and professional programmes leading to the award of first degrees, post-graduate degrees and diplomas with special emphasis on environmental technology and research.
Both bills to establish the two federal universities were passed by the chamber after consideration by the Committee of the Whole.
Meanwhile, two bills seeking to establish the Federal College of Education Afon, Kwara State; and Alvan Ikoku Federal University of Education have also passed second reading.
The bills were sponsored by Senators Yahaya Oloriegbe (Kwara Central) and Ezenwa Onyewuchi (Imo East).
The bills after consideration were both referred by the Senate President, Dr. Ahmad Lawan to the Committee on Tertiary Institution and TETFund and was given four weeks to report back to the plenary.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Ijara-Isin monarch hails TIC Chairman on birthday occasion
- Nigeria in Calamitous situation over oil theft, vandalism, others — NNPCL
- Minister, others reject Senate’s bill on proposed innovation agency
- Senate urges FG to protect shorelines at Bayelsa communities
- Senate suspends report on vacation of citizen’s watchlist by DSS
- Senate directs NLNG to pay host communities N18.4bn compensation
- Buhari to presents 2023 budget to NASS Oct. 7
- Gov. Abdulrazaq, KAMWIRE, Etsu Patigi, others for Kwara NUJ award
- Nigeria/India engages to boost volume of trade, economic activities
- Scandal rocks CCB as commissioners accuse chairman of corruption