The Senate on Wednesday mandated its Committee on Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to investigate alleged double voter registration by Gov. Yahaya Bello of Kogi.
The resolution followed the unanimous adoption of a Point of Order raised by Sen. Mohammed Hassan at plenary by the assembly.
Hassan said there was a need to investigate the circumstances surrounding the alleged double registration by the governor with a view to ensuring that the country’s electoral process was credible.
He said there was a need to investigate the process that allowed the governor access to multiple registrations.
“The governor of Kogi was involved in double voter registration and weeks after INEC confirmed that by sacking three of its staff.
“It was reported that he was issued another Temporary Voter Card (TVC) at his Okene ward.
“We are concerned about this and I think it is very important that the Senate Committee on INEC investigates and gets to the root of the matter.
“It is reported everywhere that he cannot be prosecuted because he has immunity but for the purpose of getting the picture right, I think the Senate Committee on INEC should investigate and get this matter right,’’ he said.
The President of the Senate, Bukola Saraki, said that credible electoral process was crucial in protecting the country’s democracy.
“The issue you are talking about is one that is important because the stability of our democracy depends on the credibility of our electoral process.
“And as such we must ensure that the process is one we must always be proud of, especially now that countries are looking at our electoral process.
“It is something the INEC committee should look into and report back to the Senate,’’ Saraki said.
- Naira depreciates marginally, exchanges at 445.83 to dollar
- YABATECH suspends ‘students’ week’ over shooting incident on campus
- Again Twitter suspends Kanye’s account for violating rules
- Osun: Adeleke’s emergence as Gov divine– Traditional worshippers
- Aisha Buhari now wears dress meant for 3 people– Solomon Dalung
- A’Ibom YPP Guber Candidate Jailed For 42Yrs
- Abuja-Kaduna train service resumes Dec. 5– FG
- Angry youths set ablaze Iree Oba’s Palace in Osun
- Oyetola left N76bn debt, says Osun Govt
- Gov Ademola frowns at delay in Nov salary, issues ultimatum