*Passes bill on ICT Institute, receives MDAs oversight report
Senate has passed a bill to upgrade the Maritime Academy, Oron in Akwa-Ibom State into a full-fledged University of Maritime Studies.
Also passed was a bill to establish the Institute of Information and Communication Technology, Ogoja, Cross River State.
Both bills were passed by the upper legislative chamber after the presentation and consideration of two separate reports by the Committee on Tertiary Institutions and TETFUND, chaired by Senator Ahmad Babba Kaita (APC Katsina North),
In a presentation on behalf of the chairman, Senator Sandy Onuh (PDP Cross River Central), said upgrading the Academy into a university would help Nigeria in achieving the prerequisites of the International Maritime Organization convention on standard of training, certification and watch-keeping for seafarers.
According to him, the university would afford students the opportunity to specialise on international shipping and waterways transportation, port operations, management as well as exploitation and exploration of oil and gas as boost for Nigeria’s economy.
Onuh observed that Nigeria presently records loses in the maritime sector, a development which, according to him, was largely due to deficits in manpower and seafarers.
He lamented that the country commits resources in search of university degrees, postgraduate research degrees and professionals from all facets of the maritime industry outside Nigeria.
“The Maritime environment requires highly trained personnel to manage the country’s enormous natural endowment and resources on our offshores, international shipping, oil and gas and expansion of coastline with waterways for a viable coastal and inland water transport industry”, the lawmaker said.
He added that the upgrade of the Maritime Academy into a university would benefit host communities in the South-South geopolitical zone and Nigeria as a whole.
Meanwhile, the Senate also received the report of the Committee on Education (Basis and Secondary) on oversight visits to Ministry, Departments and Agencies, MDAs.
The report was laid during plenary by Senator Eyakenyi Akon Etim (PDP Akwa-Ibom South), on behalf of the Chairman of the Committee, Senator Ibrahim Gaidam (APC Yobe East).
- Opinion: Peter Obi and the Obidient’s futile effort faking Sultan’s endorsement
- New Naira Notes: Police begins patrol of banks in Kwara
- Naira redesign: Customers urge CBN to sanction banks not paying N20,000 over the counter
- Fuel scarcity: IPMAN laments inability to source products
- Gov. Akeredolu swears in new chief judge, 4 high court judges
- Two suspects arrested for possessing, selling counterfeit N1000 notes
- Nigerian Actress enters trouble for spraying, stepping on new naira notes
- TINUBU’S CAMPAIGN SHUTS DOWN EKITI, SAYS NOTHING CAN STOP APC’S VICTORY
- 2023: Muslim Media Watch Urges Security Agencies To Fine-Tune Strategies
- IGP orders arrest, prosecution of sellers of new naira note