Senate has waded into the communal clashes in Bassa Local Government Area of Kogi State by demanding for the rehabilitation of affected communities.
The position of the Senate was contained in resolutions reached sequel to the consideration of a motion brought to the floor for consideration by Senator Isah Jibrin (APC Kogi East).
According to the lawmaker, “Communal hostilities ravaged most parts of the local government area in 2016 and 2019, rendering over 100,000 inhabitants of some of the communities homeless, leading to exodus of these inhabitants to other parts of Kogi State.”
He added that media reports indicated that about 100 people were killed in clashes involving the Igbira and Bassa Komi people, and another 146 killed by ethnic militias, in addition to destruction of properties worth millions of naira.
Senator Jibrin lamented that “educational institutions have been destroyed, with many buildings and other facilities completely burnt down, thereby making it absolutely difficult for the children of the affected communities to access educational facilities.”
“The destruction of schools, health centers are obviously non-existent to cater for the health needs of the affected communities as the few hitherto existing ones have been lost to the hostilities, and this has increased the rate of mortality in the affected communities.
“Markets, Petrol stations, shops and various business outfits in the affected communities have been completely destroyed, thereby throwing people to an inevitable state of economic helplessness.”
The Senate in its resolutions accordingly urged the Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development to assist the affected communities with shelters, educational and health facilities.
It also urged the Ministry to provide minimal seed capital s for the women and youths in the the affected communities, to facilitate their various economic activities.
- BREAKING….Coronavirus cases increase to 139 in Nigeria
- SAD….Nigerian-born doctor dies of coronavirus infection in London
- PHOTO NEWS: PHOTO: EKITI DISCHARGES ONLY COVID-19 PATIENT
- FG appeals to Nigerians to comply with restrictions order
- Reps donate two months salaries to fight against Covid-19
- FAYEMI NAMES COMMITTEE MEMBERS FOR COVID-19 SUPPORT ACCOUNT
- BREAKING….. COVID-19: Kwara shuts borders, to fumigate markets
- COVID-19: Shi’ite members make fresh demands from FG on El-zakyzaky, wife (FULL STATEMENT)
- Dr. Alfa Sa’adu’s death: We’ve lost another irreplaceable asset— Emir of Ilorin
- 37yr-old France returnee becomes first COVID-19 victim in S/Leone
News2 months ago
Army approves cigarettes allowance, N20,000 salary increment for soldiers
Education4 months ago
UNILORIN education faculty emerges best in Nigeria
News10 months ago
Sokoto assembly confirms Gov Tambuwal’s 26 comissioner nominees
Politics4 months ago
Breaking… Kwara governor appoints Yinka Aluko S A Special Duties
Politics10 months ago
Breaking…GOV. ABDULRAZAQ APPOINTS COMMITTEE ON REVIEW OF SALES OF GOVT PROPERTY (See full names)
Politics5 months ago
EXPOSED…. Why Kwara Governor wants more women in his cabinet— Ajadi
Politics3 months ago
Gbemi Saraki finally breaks silence, changes political slogan
Politics10 months ago
Breaking…Kwara assembly suspends 16 LGs chairmen