Senate has waded into the communal clashes in Bassa Local Government Area of Kogi State by demanding for the rehabilitation of affected communities.
The position of the Senate was contained in resolutions reached sequel to the consideration of a motion brought to the floor for consideration by Senator Isah Jibrin (APC Kogi East).
According to the lawmaker, “Communal hostilities ravaged most parts of the local government area in 2016 and 2019, rendering over 100,000 inhabitants of some of the communities homeless, leading to exodus of these inhabitants to other parts of Kogi State.”
He added that media reports indicated that about 100 people were killed in clashes involving the Igbira and Bassa Komi people, and another 146 killed by ethnic militias, in addition to destruction of properties worth millions of naira.
Senator Jibrin lamented that “educational institutions have been destroyed, with many buildings and other facilities completely burnt down, thereby making it absolutely difficult for the children of the affected communities to access educational facilities.”
“The destruction of schools, health centers are obviously non-existent to cater for the health needs of the affected communities as the few hitherto existing ones have been lost to the hostilities, and this has increased the rate of mortality in the affected communities.
“Markets, Petrol stations, shops and various business outfits in the affected communities have been completely destroyed, thereby throwing people to an inevitable state of economic helplessness.”
The Senate in its resolutions accordingly urged the Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development to assist the affected communities with shelters, educational and health facilities.
It also urged the Ministry to provide minimal seed capital s for the women and youths in the the affected communities, to facilitate their various economic activities.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Senate suspends report on vacation of citizen’s watchlist by DSS
- Senate directs NLNG to pay host communities N18.4bn compensation
- Buhari to presents 2023 budget to NASS Oct. 7
- Gov. Abdulrazaq, KAMWIRE, Etsu Patigi, others for Kwara NUJ award
- Nigeria/India engages to boost volume of trade, economic activities
- Scandal rocks CCB as commissioners accuse chairman of corruption
- Atala Oil Field: NUPRC under fire in Senate over wrongful re-allocation
- 62 National Day, Sen. Enang urges Nigerians to keep hope alive
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank