Speaking in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria, NAN, on Friday in Enugu, Chime said that his decision to quit the PDP was because the party was “no longer in existence in the true sense of it’’.
Chime said, however, that he had yet to join another political party, contrary to speculations that he had defected to the APC.
He said that he was still making consultations to determine the political party to join, pointing out that his decision to dump PDP had nothing to do with his corruption case with the EFCC.
“The PDP, we used to be members of is dead. The party I joined in 1999 and had the opportunity of leading in the state for eight years is no longer in existence.
“We have two groups claiming to be in charge of the party as chairman. These two, none of them can actually lay claim to the chairmanship of the party.
“There is no provision in PDP’s Constitution for interim caretaker committee led by Sen. Ahmed Maikarfi.
“The PDP convention has no power to set up a caretaker committee and did not seek to amend the party’s constitution,” he stated.
The former governor explained that Sen. Ali Modu Sheriff on his own was brought in to serve out the tenure of former PDP National Chairman, Adamu Mu’azu, adding that the tenure had long elapsed.
Chime said that remaining in the PDP would be a deceit, advising his supporters to look for a better platform to actualise their political aspirations.
He said that he could not explain why INEC had not deregistered the PDP.
“It is surprising or maybe INEC has not deregistered the PDP because the organisation is no longer working in tandem with the constitution that created it.
“The PDP as originally formed has been cremated and no serious-minded politician will remain in it.
“If those still remaining feel strongly about coming together they can come back, secure de-registration of the party and then form another party.”
- COAS commissions projects at NAIC Hdqtrs (PHOTOS)
- Senate approves Tinubu’s removal of Irukera as FCCPC boss
- NDDC: Senate rejects Anambra as lawmakers biker over Kogi
- Senate Summons Wike , FCT CP over spate of kidnappings
- Reps Reject NNPCL’s OVH Acquisition Report, Order Fresh Investigation
- NNPCL, OPEC Pledge Collaboration to Attract Investments, Grow Production
- COED Tech. lay-off 95 workers in Enugu over alleged irregularities
- ‘Yahoo Plus’ pushes 27yr-old man to kill father for rituals
- (PHOTOS) Army GOC visits Shehu of Borno, sues for collaboration
- NatureNews Targets 5bn Trees Plantation by 2030, Unveils ‘NaijaGreenProject’ Initiative