By Olugbenga Salami
Pathetic picture of the continued kidnappings and killings in Zamfara State was yesterday, painted by Senator Kabiru Marafa, APC-Zamfara Central when he said, during plenary that children and pregnant women have recently became the new target of the men of the underworld.
According to him, one of the recently kidnapped people of the state was a pregnant woman who eventually gave birth in captivity.
Senator Marafa was giving additional information following a motion of personal explanation moved via Orders 42 and 52 raised by Senator Tijjani Laura, PDP-Zamfara South on the unending kidnappings and killings in the state.
“The killings and other deadly crimes in Zamfara are getting too rampant and we need to do something very drastic”, he stressed.
Earlier while presenting the motion, Senator Kaura drew the attention of his colleagues to the unending wanton killings and kidnappings being carried out on daily basis in Zamfara State by unknown armed bandits.
He said despite the recent intervention made by the Presidency to stem the ugly tide, that the killings remained unabated and even increasing on daily basis.
Statistically according to him, as of yesterday, over 100 people were kidnapped spreading across the 14 local government areas in the state.
Out of the 100, he said 90 were from his senatorial district in the ratio of 45 in Shinkafi, 12 in Zurmi, 13 Birnin Magaji and 10 in Kaura Namoda Local government areas.
“These dastardly acts of kidnapping and Killings need to be urgently tackled by relevant authorities and thoroughly investigated by the Senate to save the state from being totally wiped out by mindless criminals and blood thirsty killers”, he said.
Incidentally, the Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki, tasked Senator Kaura to, as the Chairman of Senate Committee on Police Affairs fast-track expeditious consideration and passage of the Police Reform Bills aside conventional investigations that should be carried out.
- Businesses crumble in Kaduna as traders lament scarcity of new, old naira notes
- Adeleke directs immediate payment of arrears of half salaries for civil servants
- INEC speaks on PVC safety as gunmen burn Anambra office
- Fuel scarcity: IPMAN assures petrol will be available in two weeks
- Why we are fighting corruption — Lai Mohammed
- EFCC restates commitments to tackling electoral fraud
- OPINION: As Kunle Akogun Hits Diamond Age
- PHOTO NEWS: Late Emir of Dutse requests to be buried in public cemetery
- N34.1bn generated as IGR in 2022– Kwara Govt
- Buhari inaugurates new MOFI Board, says FG targets N100trn