A randy school teacher has been sentenced to death for raping 13 girls at an Islamic school.
The teacher, Herry Wirawan, was handed the ultimate sentence by an Indonesian court on Monday
The court upheld an appeal by prosecutors for the death penalty after he had initially received a sentence of life in prison.
The case of teacher Wirawan had shocked Indonesia and shone a spotlight on the need to protect children from sexual violence in the country’s religious boarding schools.
After he was sentenced to life imprisonment by a court in the city of Bandung in February, prosecutors who had called for the death penalty filed an appeal.
The judge in a statement on Monday posted on the Bandung High Court’s website said “(we) hereby punish the defendant with the death penalty.”
Ira Mambo, Wirawan’s lawyer, declined to comment on whether there would be an appeal, citing a need to see the full ruling from the court.
A spokesperson for the local prosecutor’s office also said it would wait to receive the final ruling before commenting.
Between 2016 and 2021, Wirawan sexually groomed the 13 girls, who were between 12 and 16 years old, and impregnated eight of his victims, a judge said in February.
Indonesian officials, including the country’s child protection minister, had also backed calls for the death penalty, though the nation’s human rights commission, which opposed the death penalty, said it was not appropriate.
Indonesia, the world’s biggest Muslim majority country, has thousands of Islamic boarding schools and other religious schools that often provided the only way for the children of poorer families to get an education. (Adapted from a Reuters/NAN report)
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- Buhari’s Women Affairs Minister, Pauline Tallen, withdraws from Senatorial race
- Stirke: UNILORIN VC sends strong message to FG, ASUU
- Ekiti guber race: I’m committed to APC’s victory at poll—Bamidele
- Foundation produces 65 graduates, gets donation from Davido
- I’ll work with NASS to restructure Nigeria – Atiku
- 2023: I will end banditry in 6 months, says Wike
- Blasphemy: No ‘jungle justice’ in Islam, Group backs Sultan Abubakar
- Prophet Muhammad Was Insulted While Alive, Yet He Didn’t Kill Anybody – Sheikh Gumi
- I’m only PDP presidential aspirant to win APC– Wike
- SOKOTO IMBROGLIO: MURIC CONDEMNS LOOTING, ATTACKS ON CHURCHES