United States President, Donald Trump, has shocked the world as he announced his intention to terminate the right to citizenship for babies born on US soil to non-citizens.
The US president, who is taking an increasingly hard-line stance on immigration, said the “process” to end birthright citizenship by executive order is underway, and denied such a fundamental change would need the input of Congress, reports UK’s Independent.
“It was always told to me you need a constitutional amendment,” Mr Trump told Axios. “Guess what, you don’t.”
“You can definitely do it with an act of Congress, but now they’re saying I can do it just with an executive order,” the president continued.
“Now how ridiculous, we’re the only country in the world where a person comes in, has a baby, and the baby is essentially a citizen of the United States for 85 years with all of those benefits. It’s ridiculous, it’s ridiculous and it has to end.”
- TEMPORARY BAN ON PROTEST, RALLIES AND UNLAWFUL PROCESSIONS IN KWARA
- Opinion….THE ESSENTIALS OF GBENGA POWER (1)
- 35 Muslim Personalities, Groups Set To Bag IMAN’s Awards
- New currency: NASS, INEC admit threat to general elections
- Tinubu hails Nigerian Governors over Supreme Court ruling on CBN Naira Swap policy
- Election will hold as scheduled– INEC Chairman briefs FEC
- Bank workers threaten nationwide shutdown over attacks
- Old naira extension: Tinubu hails govs over Supreme Court ruling
- Governors beg Buhari to extend naira swap deadline
- Naira Notes: Supreme Court bans FG, CBN in a temporary ruling