With the swearing in of Senator Smart Adeyemi, the number of lawmakers elected on the platform of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC in the upper legislative chamber, has increased to 63.
Adeyemi, who served in the 5th and 6th Senate on the platform of the People’s Democratic Party, PDP, returned to the Red Chamber having won last Saturday’s rerun election in Kogi West Senatorial District.
He scored over 82, 000 votes to beat his main rival, Senator Dino Melaye of the PDP, who polled 62, 000 votes.
Melaye, who occupied the seat from June 11, 2019 when the 9th Senate took off to October 13 when Appeal Court in Abuja nullified his victory from the February 23, 2019 National Assembly Elections on the strength of petitions against him by Adeyemi, eventually lost out at the rerun elections held on November 16 and 30.
However before Adeyemi’s inclusion into the membership of the 9th Senate, two out of the 64 APC Senators sworn into office in June, also lost their seats to PDP counterparts through electoral litigations
The two APC senators were Abubakar Tambuwal who lost the Sokoto South Senatorial seat to Ibrahim Abdullahi Dambaba of the PDP and Adedayo Adeyeye who lost the Ekiti South Senatorial seat to Biodun Olujimi of the PDP.
Consequently, APC which had 64 senators in it’s fold before the outcome of the various electoral litigations, now has 63 while PDP which started with 44 senators on June 11, 2019, now has 45 senators.
The remaining seat out of the entire 109 seats is occupied by Senator Ifeanyi Ubah of the Young Progressives Party, YPP for the Anambra South Senatorial District.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo
- Emir Sulu-Gambari celebrates Turaki of Ilorin, Saliu Mustapha at 50
- APC appoints Omole as Director, Diaspora of Campaign Council
- FUT Minna appoints new Vice Chancellor, (Read Profile)
- PDP: Nothern coalition stages protest in Kaduna, says Ayu must resign
- Nigeria Air: FG selects Ethiopian Airlines as preferred bidder
- Buhari urges more private sector participation in humanitarian sector
- COAS tasks retired officers on maximum utilisation of entitlements
- Sulu-Gambari greets Olomu of Omu-Aran, Oba Adeoti at 66
- PDP governors working to resolve party crisis—Tambuwal