Spain beats Argentina 95-75 on Sunday to claim the FIBA World Cup title in Wukesong Arena, Beijing. The newly crowned champions lastly won the title in 2006 in Japan defeating Greece 70-47.
Since Spain’s last victory the competition has been dominated by U.S.A winning the title twice in a roll. The winners of the two previous world cups could not keep them selves in the competition this time losing to France on Wednesday with 10 points, denying them the opportunity to play in the finals.
Ricky Rubio the tournament’s MVP made 20 points on 6-of-11 shooting while Marc Gasol was the backbone of Spain’s defense. Gasol and Rubio leading the Spanish through 8-0 throughout the competition.
With this win, Spain has regained its position of being one of the great teams in Europe although the team’s core roaster is aging with no superstars coming up. France and Serbia are also considered as great teams in Europe.
- Court dissolves Ganduje’s daughter 16-year-old marriage, orders return of dowry
- 522,000 PVCs uncollected in Edo – INEC
- INEC to conduct mock voter accreditation in Delta
- NSCDC warn officers against careless handling of firearms during elections
- Businesses crumble in Kaduna as traders lament scarcity of new, old naira notes
- Adeleke directs immediate payment of arrears of half salaries for civil servants
- INEC speaks on PVC safety as gunmen burn Anambra office
- Fuel scarcity: IPMAN assures petrol will be available in two weeks
- Why we are fighting corruption — Lai Mohammed
- EFCC restates commitments to tackling electoral fraud