Stealing is not a crime —Adichie
Nigerian novelist, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, has faulted Nigerians for criticizing former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Dieziani Alison-Madueke over fraud allegations, stating that stealing is a norm for Politicians.
While speaking at the University of Edinburgh, Chimamanda stated that assumptions that men are expected to steal and women should be like angels aggravated the former Minister’s fraud case.
Adichie stated: “We shouldn’t assume, that because a person is born a woman, that person is somehow is just one step lower than angel. I find it quite dehumanizing for Read also: Devils in APC responsible for Buhari’s ill-performance—Masari women because what is means is that women cannot be judged on the same terms as men.
“I remember once a politician in Nigerian who was a woman had stolen money which is an exercise most Nigerian politicians are very adept at. she was pilloried, i remember a journalist saying and she’ s a woman.
Somehow the assumption was it will be better if she was a man because then Nigerians would not judge her harshly since we expect men to steal.
Adding that, “I think the idea of women being another specie of angel is bad for both women and men because it makes the standards uneven. I dream of a world in which women are seen as women Read also: Heavy rain wreck havoc in Owerri, sack residents where women are allowed to be many things.”
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- Poor awareness of Tuberculosis Disease causing havoc in Nigeria – NTBLCP
- Funke Akindele deletes PDP’s political posts on Instagram page
- Popular music legand, Jaigbade Alao is dead
- We’ll review governorship, state assembly election results — INEC
- Adamawa guber: Thugs protest apparent loss of APC’s Binani
- Breaking…. Kano govt imposes 24hrs curfew as NNPP wins guber poll
- Nigeria not practising democracy but ‘Agberocracy’– Apostle Suleman
- Election victory: Kwara CMO Coordinator, Idris Haroon felicitates with Gov. AbdulRazaq
- Dikko Radda of APC declared winner Katsina guber election
- APC candidate, Ahmed Aliyu wins sokoto guber polls