Governor of Sokoto State, Aminu Waziri Tambuwal, has called for necessary handover of federal roads in the country to the state governments.
The Governor made the call while receiving the Senate Committee on Works led by its Chairman, Senator Kabiru Gaya, at the Government House in Sokoto, on Monday night.
According to Tambuwal the handover would facilitate the effective management and make certain long term viability.
He said, “There is need for federal government to handover the roads to states because states governments are closer to the people and we have more efficient methods of supervision.
If this is done, it will go a long way in ensuring that the vast majority of major roads and highways in the country are well maintained.
Tambuwal also expressed the state government’s steadfastness in ensuring that infrastructural development of Nigeria is given maximum attention, by working closely with stakeholders.
He also appealed to the National Assembly to lend their support, by facilitating the reimbursement of the money the state government spent on the repairs of some federal roads in its jurisdiction.
Also speaking during the committee visit, Senator Gaya said they were in the Sokoto for the conduct of their oversight functions.
He commended Tambuwal for his administration’s efforts particularly in the area of infrastructural development.
Senator Gaya also assured that his committee would facilitate the reimbursement of the funds used by the state government in the construction federal roads.
He particularly thanked the Governor for his commitment to see to the completion of the Sokoto-Jega-Yauri-Kontagora road which is currently under construction
- INEC speaks on PVC safety as gunmen burn Anambra office
- Fuel scarcity: IPMAN assures petrol will be available in two weeks
- Why we are fighting corruption — Lai Mohammed
- EFCC restates commitments to tackling electoral fraud
- OPINION: As Kunle Akogun Hits Diamond Age
- PHOTO NEWS: Late Emir of Dutse requests to be buried in public cemetery
- N34.1bn generated as IGR in 2022– Kwara Govt
- Buhari inaugurates new MOFI Board, says FG targets N100trn
- Over 50 Emirs, others witness late Dutse monarch’s funeral prayer
- Emir Sulu-Gambari commiserates with Jigawa govt. over Dutse monarch’s death