In the same vein, members of the House are to meet with the state governor, Alh. Abdulfatah Ahmed to rub minds on how to resolve arrears of promotion of teachers in the state.
The Deputy Speaker, Elder Mathew Okedare, gave these indications in Ilorin, while addressing members of the state chapter, of the Nigerian Union of Teachers ( NUT), who staged a peaceful protest to the Assembly complex in Ilorin, the state capital.
Okedare, who described education as the bedrock of any sustainable development, said the Speaker of the House, Dr. Ali Ahmad, was spearheading efforts at proffering enduring solutions to the lingering problem in the ongoing Constitutional amendment, and assured that the House would not spare any efforts in addressing issues impeding prompt payment of teachers salaries.
In his remarks, the House Leader, Hon. Hassan Oyeleke, disclosed that the House was spearheading efforts at ensuring that the current clamour for autonomy for local government councils in the ongoing Constitutional amendment, does not in any way affect prompt payment of teachers salaries across the country.
Earlier, the Chairman, of the NUT in the state, Comrade, Musa Abubakar, had said that the current clamour for local government autonomy would impede smooth payment of teachers salaries and called on the legislature to wade in.
Abubakar, who said primary school teachers had gone through agony under the councils, urged state governments in the country, to respect the Supreme Court’s judgement of 2002, which placed primary education under the purview of state governments.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- FG declares Monday Oct. 10 as public holiday
- 2023: Be careful of politicians’ craftiness– Don warns journalists
- Kogi Assembly seals Dangote Cement factory
- Kwara NUJ holds Ilorin NBA in friendly match to mark 2022 Press week
- Google announces first Cloud Region in Africa
- Kaduna CP warns against extra judicial killings
- Senate moves to make Nigeria manufacturing country
- Senate exits Customs, FIRS, NCC, others from budget
- Senate confirms 19 RECs, NUPRC Executive Commissioner
- Ijara-Isin monarch hails TIC Chairman on birthday occasion