Residents of Ita Olokan area of Osogbo were shocked when they found the corpse of a teenager identified as Samuel Atila, floating on a section of Osun River.
One of the residents, who was said to be going to his farm on Friday, reportedly saw the corpse floating on the river and alerted others.
A resident of the area, who identified himself as Kunle Kareem, told our correspondent on Saturday that the circumstances which led to the drowning of 16-year-old Atila were not clear as of the time of filing this report.
Kareem said the man who discovered the teenager’s corpse went to the Osun State Command of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps at Oke Ayepe area to report the incident.
The rescue team of the NSCDC was reportedly sent to the area and the corpse was brought to the river bank.
The family of the drowned teenager was said to have been contacted on Friday evening and the corpse was buried the same night at the river bank.
The Public Relations Officer of the NSCDC in Osun State, Mr. Babawale Afolabi, confirmed the incident when our correspondent contacted him on the telephone.
He said, “A man came to report that he found the corpse of a teenager inside the Osun River. He said he saw the corpse on his way to his farm on Friday and our men were sent to the river to remove the boy.
“Although the identity of the boy was not known immediately, we contacted community leaders and other people and the boy’s family was eventually located. I learnt that the boy was buried on Friday night after necessary rites were performed by the worshippers of the Osun deity.”
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- Zamfara Gov, Bello Matawalle urges traditional rulers to tackle insecurity
- 2023: Kogi delegates shock Ameachi after requesting Yahaya Bello to stepdown ambition
- KWACCIMA collaborates with EFCC for corrupt-free business environment
- NCoS Controller advises officers to show good character, be dedicated
- Education, short road to peace, freedom—NIREC
- Cultist suspect who killed to gain promotion, women, others remanded in prison
- Don’t hold rallies in Abia, IPOB warns APC aspirant
- FG committed to protecting Nigerians from harmful use of data- Pantami
- Lagos Govt. says June 1 deadline won’t stop enforcement on Okada ban
- NAF free medical outreach excites Kaduna residents