He made the remarks while laying the foundation for the construction of the Omu-Aran Township Stadium in Irepodun Local Government Area of Kwara.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the project was facilitated by the member representing Ekiti, Isin, Irepodun and Oke-Ero Federal Constituency of Kwara, Rep. Tunji Olawuyi.
The traditional ruler said the facility, apart from its lucrative aspect of sports, would encourage people in the area to embrace exercise, necessary for good health, when completed.
In his remarks, Olawuyi said that his target was to create an enabling environment for the young ones, to have a platform to pursue their dream of becoming sports personalities.
The Chairman, House Committee on Emergency and Disaster Preparedness, described sports as a lucrative business which must be given the required attention.
Olawuyi said that the only way sports could be promoted was through the provision of facilities.
“If you have a stadium like the one we are about to construct, it is a potential platform to improve sporting activities in our constituency.
“Apart from the financial aspect of it, there are so many other things that surround the construction of the stadium because it will improve the economic activities of our constituency.”
The representative of the Contractor, Skiddo Construction Company Ltd., Mr Bolaji Azeez, said that the facility would accommodate 3,000 people when completed.
According to the contractor, the facility will also have a shopping mall and shops, where people can sell to those sportsmen and women that will be using the edifice.
Azeez noted that the pitch would have tartan tracks, perimeter fence, table tennis and basketball courts.
The APC Chairman in Irepodun Local Government Area, Mr Azeez Yakubu, expressed delight with the project and commended the efforts of the legislator.
He said the stadium would help in engaging the youth of the constituency constructively, by encouraging them to make a living through sports.
- Gov. Sule approves N1.5bn for upgrading Nasarawa Broadcasting Service– Commissioner
- Why we are detaining D’Banj – ICPC
- Adeleke denies withdrawing N5bn from Osun accounts
- DMO issues 2 FGN savings bonds at N1,000 per unit
- Adamawa Govt. increases 2023 budget to N175bn
- SMEDAN empowers 90 youth with sewing machines, others in Plateau
- Rukaiya Atiku backs husband as ‘only candidate who supports women’
- Eto’o tenders apology over violent conduct
- Atiku visits Ooni, pledges restructuring
- Buhari transmits FCT 2023 Budget to Senate