Two Members-Elect of the Kaduna State House of Assembly have lost their Certificates of Return issued by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
The affected politicians are; Haruna Aliyu popularly known as Chakis and Ibrahim Ismail, are both members of the Assembly and represent Kaduna North II (Kawo) and Kaduna South II (Tudun Wada) constituency respectively.
It was gathered that at the October 7, 2018 primary elections in which both men contested, two other aspirants, Yusuf Salihu and Nasiru Usman polled 104 votes and 49 votes respectively.
The All Progressives Congress (APC), however, substituted Salihu and Usman’s names with that of Aliyu and Ismail who scored 24 and 35 votes respectively and submitted same to INEC as the party’s candidates.
While delivering judgment on April 16, Justice Z. B Abubakar, the president judge, said having scored the highest number of votes cast at the primaries, Nasiru Usman is the nominated candidate for the election to represent Tudun Wada constituency (Kaduna South II) in the state Assembly.
The judge said the purported substitution of the name of Hon Yusuf Salihu for the Kaduna State House of Assembly election, Kaduna North II constituency, is in violation of the provision of section 33 of the Electoral Act 2010 as amended.
Subsequently, INEC issued Certificates of Return to Yusuf Salihu and Nasiru Usman, in compliance with the court’s orders .
- Why we are fighting corruption — Lai Mohammed
- EFCC restates commitments to tackling electoral fraud
- OPINION: As Kunle Akogun Hits Diamond Age
- PHOTO NEWS: Late Emir of Dutse requests to be buried in public cemetery
- N34.1bn generated as IGR in 2022– Kwara Govt
- Buhari inaugurates new MOFI Board, says FG targets N100trn
- Over 50 Emirs, others witness late Dutse monarch’s funeral prayer
- Emir Sulu-Gambari commiserates with Jigawa govt. over Dutse monarch’s death
- Gov. AbdulRazaq inaugurates APC campaign council in Kwara
- Media expert harps on importance of free press on democracy