United States of America’s President, Joe Biden-led administration has imposed fresh economic sanctions on pro-Kremlin oligarchs and on Russian President Vladimir Putin’s purported girlfriend.
“As innocent people suffer from Russia’s illegal war of aggression, Putin’s allies have enriched themselves and funded opulent lifestyles,” said Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen on Tuesday.
“The Treasury Department will use every tool at our disposal to make sure that Russian elites and the Kremlin’s enablers are held accountable for their complicity in a war that has cost countless lives.
“Together with our allies, the United States will also continue to choke off revenue and equipment underpinning Russia’s unprovoked war in Ukraine,” she added.
Sanctions set by the U.S. State Department in tandem with the Treasury “impose severe costs for those who support President Vladimir Putin’s war,” the Department of the Treasury said in a statement.
Following a similar move by the European Union (EU) and the U.S. sanctioned former gymnast Alina Kabaeva.
The 2004 Olympic champion now runs the large Russian media company NMG.
The EU said the company was “in close contact” with President Vladimir Putin.
Press reports have linked Kabaeva with Putin.
In April, the U.S. sanctioned Putin’s two adult daughters.
Putin’s confidant Andrey Guryev and his son are also affected by the latest sanctions.
The luxury yacht Alfa Nero, which Guryev is said to have bought in 2014 for 120 million dollars, was mentioned by name.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Aisha Wakil a.ka. ‘Mama Boko Haram, 2 others sentenced to 7yrs jailterm
- Cameroon seeks AIB-N support on aircraft accident investigation
- Professionalism, training motivation, support are catalyst for transformed education system– Stakeholders
- Emir Sulu-Gambari prays for Doyen of Geology, Prof. Oyawoye at 95
- Again, Buhari urges ASUU to call off strike
- Kwara Govt secondary school without classrooms
- NBA lauds Bala Mohammed for signing judiciary autonomy bill into law
- APC Chieftain lauds Faleke’s appointment as Secretary of APC Presidential Campaign
- Transform Raw Materials To Finished and Revenue Generating Product – FG
- Afritel trains journalists on good governance, accountability reporting