Russian Ambassador to Nigeria, Alexei Shebarshin, has assured the Federal Government that Nigerians won’t be harmed during the raging conflict between Russia and Ukraine.
The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, who met with the envoy behind closed doors on Friday, February 25, quoted Shebarshin as saying that Nigeria is a friendly nation to Russia and efforts will be made to ensure no Nigerian is hurt in the raging war.
The Minister mentioned that he told the Russian envoy that Nigeria as a country would not condone the violation of the territorial integrity of a United Nations member state, a country with which Nigeria has diplomatic relations.
“This is really the position of the government and also, that we have 5,600 Nigerians in Ukraine and we are very concerned about what we are hearing and what we are seeing regarding missiles and bombs about the safety of Nigerian citizens there and also that we would like to be able to evacuate them.
He said that this would be communicated to his headquarters and that obviously, they consider Nigeria a friendly country.
The Russian envoy also said that they would do nothing to harm Nigerians and assured me that their action is targeted at military installations and that they are not about to start attacking civilian areas and so forth” Onyeama said.
- Ilorin experiences first rainfall in 2023
- Leeds records 3-1 victory against Accrington Stanley firstly in 7yrs
- Naira notes hardship: Don’t come to Kano yet, Ganduje tells Buhari
- CBN’s Jan. 31 deadline on naira notes unrealistic— Atiku
- CBN deadline: Buhari speaks on reasons for currencies changes
- INEC extends PVCs collection to Feb. 5
- INEC extends PVCs collection deadline
- Buhari rejoices with 90yr-old female Professor, Bolanle Awe
- Ukraine President Zelensky appoints Oby Ezekwesili as ambassador
- Breaking: Buhari wades into Naira new notes scarcity