The United Nations (UN) has applauded Nigeria for significantly contributing to the United Nations peace keeping operations since the end of second world war.
The UN Resident Coordinator who was represented by WHO Country Representative, Dr Walter Kazadi Mulombo stated this at the UN 77th anniversary walk in Abuja at the weekend.
Molumbo while speaking on the theme: “The UN and Nigeria: partnership for peace, prosperity and sustainable development”, said Nigeria has supported development initiatives for her people and has been an active partner in global multilateralism
“We are celebrating the 77th anniversary of the UN system which was established in an aftermath of the Second World War.
“It is a collective commitment for member states to avoid war and the consequences that we saw during the second world war.
“It was also established to put a mechanism for lasting peace, solidarity, and mutual cooperation so that all the nations will avoid what happened during the war”
Molumbo further disclosed that there would be an exhibition to showcase the works of the UN agencies on Monday on the green lawn of the UN House.
“All agencies need to ensure there is a balanced equilibrium between maintaining peace and balanced right to health. Without peace and good health, there will be no development”. He added.
In a similar vain, the High Commissioner of Canada High Commission, James Christoff, noted that the walk was an opportunity to unite with colleagues from the international community and the UN community, in solidarity to promote peace.
“I am very happy to be here today. I could not think of a better way to celebrate not just the day, but to unite with my colleagues.
“This will give us the opportunity to show the importance of cooperation in making the world a better place,’’ Christoff said.
Also, the Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary Permanent Representative to ECOWAS, Matsunaga Kazuyoshi, pointed out that country was faced with very difficult issues which are poverty and a certain level of food insecurity.
Kazuyoshi said that the walk was an event to show solidarity in order to make concerted efforts to overcome all kinds of difficult issues.
“This walk will show the world that there is hope for a better future”.
UN 77th day is celebrated every October 24 and it usually commences with a healthy activity called ‘walk the talk’.
- Why I stripped naked to pray for Tinubu’ victory– Olaiya Igwe
- Labour Party suspends Arabambi over anti-party activities
- Asake apologizes for appearance at Birmingham shpw
- How I became Radio Presenter, Event Entertainer — Omo Culture
- Gov. Sanni Bello’s Spokesperson, Noel-Berje bags Media Personality Award
- Bandits tackles FG, military of ‘benefitting from insecurity’
- FG lost N113m over Abuja-Kaduna railway closure – NRC
- Aisha Buhari withdraws case against critic Aminu Mohammed
- INEC announces dates for PVCs collection
- Ronaldo denies reports he swore at Portugal coach over substitution