UNILAG lecturer bags 21yr jail-term over rape
A former part-time lecturer in the University of Lagos, Akin Baruwa, has been sentenced to 21 years imprisonment by an Ikeja High Court for raping an 18-year-old admission-seeker.
Justice Josephine Oyefeso, while sentencing Baruwa, described his action as heinous.
Oyefeso on Thursday held that the sentence should serve as a deterrent to others.
She said, “The offence committed against this young lady was a violation of her chastity which would have left huge emotional scars from which I pray and hope she will recover.
“I cannot begin to imagine the physical and mental trauma she has had to endure from the man whom she considered her father’s friend, a community leader who should have known better. This is a shame.
“This is a crime that not only offends the survivor, it offends her family, it offends the society at large, it also offends God.
“I find you Baruwa Afeez Akin guilty of rape contrary to Section 258(1) of the Criminal Law of Lagos, 2011, and I hereby convict you accordingly.
“In line with Section 258 of the Criminal Law of Lagos, 2011, Baruwa Afeez Akin is hereby sentenced to 21 years imprisonment.”
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- Fuel subsidy: Court stops NLC, TUC, others from embarking on strike
- Kwara Gov meets labour leaders on fuel subsidy removal
- Fuel subsidy: Kwara govt. reduces workdays for civil servants
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic announces retirement from football
- NYSC presents court with documents to prove certificate forgery by Peter Mbah
- Reactions trail ‘drop’ in cooking gas price
- Professionalism and Patriotism: Toun Okewale’s achievements speak loudly
- About 490,000 Job Opportunities Awaiting Nigerians Here—NDPB
- Subsidy: Electricity workers to embark on nationwide strike
- Return missing bullet proof jeeps within 5 days– Zamfara Gov tells Matawalle