As part of its effort to foster a robust Town and Gown relationship, the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Ilorin, has organised a workshop for herbal and traditional medicine practitioners in Kwara State.
Addressing participants at the workshop’s opening ceremony, the Dean of the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Prof. A. Agunu, stated that the workshop aims to equip the participants with knowledge that will improve their practice and the cooperation of the patients, which will lead to improved healthcare delivery. He acknowledged the contribution of herbal and traditional medicine practitioners in child delivery, bone setting, and mental ailment.
Prof. Agunu, who is also the Head of the Department of Pharmacognosy and Drug Development, added that as part of the Department’s community service, the workshop will be held annually and relevant topics will be discussed. He stressed that the mandate of an academic department in a University is “teaching, research and community service”.
Four seasoned resource persons presented papers at the workshop.
In her lecture, entitled “Identification, Plant Collection, Authentication, Drying, Storage and Cultivation of Medicinal Plants”, Prof. E. O. Ajayeoba, a lecturer from the University of Ibadan and an adjunct Professor of Pharmacognosy, University of Ilorin, highlighted the importance of understanding the various plant types and usage to the participants. She noted that the knowledge would help in the administration of better product and service to patients.
Other topics covered at the workshop included “Evaluation of Safety and Efficacy of Herbal Products” by Dr. R. O. Ayanniyi, “Formulation, Packaging and GMP” by Dr. A. O. Shittu, and “Regulatory Expectation of NAFDAC THMPs” by a NAFDAC representative, Mrs Roseline Ajayi.
- Morocco win Spain 3-0 on penalty knock out
- Kanye celebrates Saint’s 7th birthday at Kim’s house
- NiMet alerts on thick dust haze in Kano, Katsina, others
- Naira redesigned: Maximum cash withdrawal now N100,000
- Samuel Eto’o attacks man outside stadium in Qatar
- NBA President shuns call to bar ceremony presided over by Olanipekun
- Media Watch Group Carpets Security Agencies Over ‘State Of The Nation’
- FG developed Lagos, not Tinubu– Atiku
- Chatham House: Atiku group berates Tinubu’s conduct
- Chatham House: Tinubu clarifies his age, paternity