Following its successful hosting of the 2nd edition of the National Youth Games last year, the University of Ilorin has again got the Federal Government’s nod to host the 3rd edition of the Games holding between September 7 and 17 this year.
This year’s edition of the Games is expected to be provide the opportunity for the selection of athletes that will represent the country at the World Youth Games to be held in Argentina.
This was made known at a meeting between the Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports Development and the management of the University of Ilorin.
The Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports Development, Mr. Christian Chineaka Ohaa, thanked the Vice-Chancellor for accepting to host two editions of the games back-to-back.
He added that Prof. AbdulGaniyu Ambali’s support was a huge boost for the success of the games last year.
Speaking through the Director of the Nigeria Grassroots Sports, Dr. Ademola Are, the Permanent Secretary commended the staff of the University for what he described as their “selfless support” during the last edition of the youth games held at the institution.
The Permanent Secretary explained that this year’s edition of the games would be expanded with more games and greater sanction for any state that fields over-aged athletes.
He promised that the Ministry would leave a legacy at the University that would contribute to the development of sports in the institution.
“We will contribute something tangible as a legacy here”, he remarked.
In his response, the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Ilorin, Prof. AbdulGaniyu Ambali (OON), said that the September date for the games would be the best time, judging by the University’s calendar.
Assuring the Ministry of the University’s continued support, Prof. Ambali said, “We are ready to host your contingents once again. We also want to thank you for you promised legacy project in the University. Having a swimming pool will be very helpful for the sports unit in the University”.
- (See Pictures) Court sends 20 internet fraudsters to jail in Oyo
- Gbenga Power rejoices with Nigerians on 63rd Independence celebrations
- CJN to inaugurate 23 Federal High Court Judges Oct 4.
- US Court Orders Release of Tinubu’s Academic Records in 48 hrs
- Kwara Proposes N239bn Revised Budget To Assembly
- Gamji Association Tasks Youths To Emulate Virtues Of Founding Fathers
- Fagbemi dissociates FG from N50bn plea bargain with Emefiele
- Nigeria @63: Peaceful co-existence is germane for nat’l growth— Emir Sulu-Gambari
- Nigeria @63: Tinubu approves new minimum wage for FG workers
- (PHOTOS) Three Internet Fraudsters Bag Jail Terms In Benin