Following its successful hosting of the 2nd edition of the National Youth Games last year, the University of Ilorin has again got the Federal Government’s nod to host the 3rd edition of the Games holding between September 7 and 17 this year.
This year’s edition of the Games is expected to be provide the opportunity for the selection of athletes that will represent the country at the World Youth Games to be held in Argentina.
This was made known at a meeting between the Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports Development and the management of the University of Ilorin.
The Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports Development, Mr. Christian Chineaka Ohaa, thanked the Vice-Chancellor for accepting to host two editions of the games back-to-back.
He added that Prof. AbdulGaniyu Ambali’s support was a huge boost for the success of the games last year.
Speaking through the Director of the Nigeria Grassroots Sports, Dr. Ademola Are, the Permanent Secretary commended the staff of the University for what he described as their “selfless support” during the last edition of the youth games held at the institution.
The Permanent Secretary explained that this year’s edition of the games would be expanded with more games and greater sanction for any state that fields over-aged athletes.
He promised that the Ministry would leave a legacy at the University that would contribute to the development of sports in the institution.
“We will contribute something tangible as a legacy here”, he remarked.
In his response, the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Ilorin, Prof. AbdulGaniyu Ambali (OON), said that the September date for the games would be the best time, judging by the University’s calendar.
Assuring the Ministry of the University’s continued support, Prof. Ambali said, “We are ready to host your contingents once again. We also want to thank you for you promised legacy project in the University. Having a swimming pool will be very helpful for the sports unit in the University”.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Nigeria in Calamitous situation over oil theft, vandalism, others — NNPCL
- Minister, others reject Senate’s bill on proposed innovation agency
- Senate urges FG to protect shorelines at Bayelsa communities
- Senate suspends report on vacation of citizen’s watchlist by DSS
- Senate directs NLNG to pay host communities N18.4bn compensation
- Buhari to presents 2023 budget to NASS Oct. 7
- Gov. Abdulrazaq, KAMWIRE, Etsu Patigi, others for Kwara NUJ award
- Nigeria/India engages to boost volume of trade, economic activities
- Scandal rocks CCB as commissioners accuse chairman of corruption
- Atala Oil Field: NUPRC under fire in Senate over wrongful re-allocation